Indian-American takes oath as Kansas state Senator - New York News
by IANS | Updated Jan 13, 2023
Reddi, who has served on the Manhattan City Commission since 2013, was appointed by Democratic precinct leaders in Riley, Geary and Clay counties.
"I was sworn in this afternoon as State Senator for District 22. It was great to have my family join me today. I look forward to representing you," Reddi tweeted after taking oath on Thursday.
Reddi will complete the remainder of Senator Hawk's term, which expires in 2025.
"Thank you, Senator Tom Hawk for your dedicated service. You lead with sincere love for community and built strong relationships along the way. Enjoy your well-deserved retirement," Reddi wrote in a tweet.
She was first elected to the Manhattan City Commission for a four-year term in April 2013 and re-elected in 2017 and 2021.
She served as Mayor in 2016-2017 and in 2020.
Her family immigrated from India to the US in 1973, when she was eight years-old.
She was raised in Columbus, Ohio, along with her two brothers.
"Many of us have known Usha in her capacity as a community leader for years now, and we look forward to bringing her into the fold when she joins us as a legislative colleague next week," Senate Democratic Leader Dinah Sykes told ksn.com.
Sykes added that she is eager to use Reddi's strengths in the Legislature to help move Kansas forward Manhattan resident for more than 28 years.
Reddi earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Developmental Psychology from Ohio State University, a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education and a Master of Science in Educational Leadership from Kansas State University.
She taught 1st grade for over 10 years and received the Elected Women of Excellence Award from the National Foundation of Women Legislators in 2020.
January 13, 2023 Other New York
- Slight downtick Crossword Clue NYT
- Most-spoken language in Iran Crossword Clue NYT
- Take in a rescue pet Crossword Clue NYT
- Jennifer Coolidges Emmy-winning role on The White Lotus Crossword Clue NYT
- Optometrists study Crossword Clue NYT
- Device used for aerial videography Crossword Clue NYT
- Observation game played in a car Crossword Clue NYT
- Gyro bread Crossword Clue NYT
- Kismet Crossword Clue NYT
- Page-___ calendar Crossword Clue NYT
- Terrorist killed in Pakistan's Punjab
- Ami Bera elected to House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee
- Russia sends 2nd rescue team to Turkey
- Putin proposes revising Russia's strategy for scientific, technological development
- Cuba confirms first bird flu cases
- Turkey to open 2 more border gates for quake aid into Syria: FM
- Quake death toll hits 3,480 in Syria: Monitor
- Death toll surpasses 12,000 as quake relief in Turkey, Syria enters 3rd day
- Pakistani Prez calls for road safety strategies to reduce traffic mortalities globally
- Pakistani rupee strengthens against USD