Zelensky discusses cooperation, Ukraine's European integration with EU leaders - Kiev News
by IANS | Updated Feb 02, 2023
Speaking after the talks, which took place in Kiev on Thursday ahead of the Ukraine-European Union summit, Zelensky said the visit of von der Leyen and other EU officials to Ukraine marks an important milestone in Ukraine's European integration, Xinhua news agency reported.
Zelensky said that he received a report from von der Leyen on the second part of the questionnaire that Ukraine had filled out to become a candidate for EU membership.
"This is good news. This report will become the basis for the work of our government," he said.
At their meeting, Zelensky and von der Leyen talked about trade liberalisation between Ukraine and the EU, financial cooperation, and energy security.
The two sides also touched upon the issues of Ukraine's post-conflict reconstruction and new sanctions against Russia.
The Ukraine-EU summit, scheduled to take place in Kiev on Friday, will discuss economic, financial, social, energy and humanitarian issues.
Preparations for the next phase of Ukraine's integration with the EU will also be a topic of the summit, according to the presidential press service.
In June 2022, EU leaders accepted Ukraine as a candidate for membership in the bloc.
- Sikh professor deported in 2021 returns to Fiji
- Israeli fighter jets strike Gaza military post in response to rocket fire
- Cambodia revokes West-backed VOD radio's license over 'slanderous' broadcast
- Sedition case against ex-Pak Finance Minister for 'sabotaging negotiations' with IMF
- 6.1-magnitude quake hits New Zealand
- US-China rivalry will not split the world, globalisation is here to stay: Study
- S.Korean civic group accuses Army man of covering up suicide of bullied conscript
- Questions about spate of high-altitude objects shot down over North America
- Cambodian Prime Minister visits Laos; discusses strategic partnership, border
- Venezuelan Prez urges youths to defeat US blockade on National Youth Day