Zampa supports Test skipper Cummins' gesture to take a knee in solidarity with 'Black Lives Matter' - Perth News
by IANS | Updated Nov 30, 2022
This is the first time that Australia have made the gesture on home soil, alongside the West Indies players before the series opener. The West Indies have been taking a knee in all international fixtures since 2020.
Zampa said he and the team was proud of Cummins' stance to urge the players to make the gesture although the pace spearhead has been accused of pushing a 'woke' agenda.
"The same people that say (to be quiet) are always the ones telling us to try and not be vanilla as well," Zampa said on SEN 1170 Breakfast on Wednesday. "We have certain beliefs and if we're asked about it, we will tell the truth.
"I think Pat (Cummins) nailed it on the head yesterday. He's obviously copped quite a lot in the media. He's not the guy who will back down and then change his values because of what a few people will comment on their Facebook pages about it," added Zampa.
A report in foxsports.com.au said the West Australian crowd had "applauded the players following the anti-racism gesture".
It may be recalled that the Australian ODI side had taken a knee before white-ball fixture against the West Indies in the Caribbean, but Wednesday's act of solidarity was a first for the Test team on home soil.
"Both sides also participated in a Barefoot Circle, a mark of respect to First Nations people, before the toss in Perth," said the report.
- ISL 2022-23: Jamshedpur FC register 2-0 win over NorthEast United FC
- Prime Volleyball League: Bengaluru Torpedoes go down to Kolkata Thunderbolts in opener
- ACC board meeting: Decision on Asia Cup 2023 venue deferred to next month
- ISL 2022-23: Mumbai City FC share points with Hyderabad FC as their League Shield prospects grow
- Davis Cup 2023: India suffer 2-3 loss against Denmark in Group I play-offs
- ISL 2022-23: Bengaluru FC look to continue charge for playoffs as ATK Mohun Bagan eye third place (preview)
- ILT20: Hetmyer fifty helps Gulf Giants beat Desert Vipers, confirm top-two finish
- Real Madrid, Barcelona continue title race in La Liga (preview)
- ILT20: Breezy knocks by Md Waseem, Pollard take MI Emirates to playoffs
- SA20: MI Cape Town captain Rashid Khan asks teammates to play smart cricket in next matches