Woman bedridden for 20 yrs booked under Gangsters Act in UP - Meerut (Uttar Pradesh) News
by IANS | Updated Jan 12, 2023
The woman Alisha Begum, 53, has been bedridden since the past 20 years due to multiple health disorders, including vision loss. She weighs around 130 kg and cannot walk on her own.
Police records claim that she is a gangster, and her entire family has been allegedly framed in a false case pertaining to a financial transaction that never happened.
According to reports, Alisha's husband Mohd Haneef, 53, had business relations with a Congress worker and local businessman Naseem Qureshi.
In November 2021, Qureshi filed an FIR against Haneef for not returning Rs 3.5 crore that the former claims to have given to the latter for 'constructing a meat plant in Madhya Pradesh'.
"In 2021, investigation revealed that there were many lapses in handling of the case. There was no need for stringent IPC sections, and it was merely a case of IPC 406 (breach of trust). Besides, notary agreement deed that complainant (Qureshi) had claimed to have entered into with the accused, also had flaws. The photos of the partners were picked from social media sources and were not as per the set standards," said Jitender Srivastava, SP.
After this probe report, three IPC sections 467 (forgery of a valuable security), 468 (forgery with intention to cheat) and 471 (fraud) were removed from the FIR and a charge sheet was filed in the remaining IPC sections that included 406 (breach of trust), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 420 (cheating).
However, despite senior police officials and Allahabad High Court staying the proceedings, the Gangster Act was slapped on six members of the family, including Alisha, on December 13, 2022.
Additional DG Meerut zone Rajeev Sabharwal has now set up another inquiry.
- After two days of rain & snow weather improves in Kashmir
- TN power utility seeks approval to purchase solar power from farmers
- Jammu-Srinagar National Highway closed for 2nd day
- Sonia to attend President address as Congress leaders stuck in Srinagar
- BRS & AAP to boycott Prez address
- PM Modi to visit poll bound K'taka on Feb 6
- Rape victim's brother found dead in UP's Meerut
- PM Modi to inaugurate Delhi-Mumbai Expressway on Feb 12
- Three held for duping Swiss tourist at Taj Mahal
- Prez Murmu to address joint sitting of Parliament first time