US jewel thief charged with hate crimes for targeting South Asian women - New York News
by IANS | Updated Oct 05, 2022
Lathan Johnson, 37, from Palo Alto, took necklaces off his victims, and sped away in a getaway car. In the process, he also injured the women, mostly in the 50-73 age group.
The estimated worth of all the stolen necklaces is about $35,000.
"Almost all the victims wore a saree, bindi, or other types of ethnic attire when they were attacked," the District Attorney's office said, and added that the spree of attacks, which started in June, mostly took place in San Jose, Milpitas, Sunnyvale, and Santa Clara.
Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen vowed to pursue convictions for anyone who attacked others due to their race or ethnicity.
"I say to our South Asian community that anyone who targets and attacks you will be arrested and treated with the utmost severity under our law. Santa Clara County's precious diversity is our strength, our superpower - not a criminal opportunity," Rosen said in a statement.
The Santa Clara Police Department and the US Marshal's Office apprehended Johnson, but the first agency to tie him to the crimes was the Milpitas Police Department. They were able to connect him to a getaway car.
If convicted, Johnson will face prison time. The District Attorney and South Asian community leaders will be attending the hearing today in San Jose.
Late last year, the Santa Clara District Attorney's Office charged a group of men with hate crimes and robbery for targeting Asian women during a spree of purse snatching. Those cases are still pending.
October 05, 2022 Other New York
- Pithy sayings Crossword Clue NYT
- Shakespeare play with the line "To thine own self be true" Crossword Clue NYT
- Home for birds Crossword Clue NYT
- Group of civil rights activists that included John Lewis and Martin Luther King Jr. Crossword Clue NYT
- Medicine amount Crossword Clue NYT
- Captain in "Moby-Dick" Crossword Clue NYT
- Star of ___ (symbol of Judaism) Crossword Clue NYT
- Compadre Crossword Clue NYT
- Windowpane material Crossword Clue NYT
- Like mysterious sounds in the night Crossword Clue NYT
- River in Greek mythology Crossword Clue NYT
- Rare bird sightings after decades in Kashmir's Wular Lake
- Maha Congress snubs Shiv Sena (UBT) for pontificating on party crisis
- Sharmila disputes KCR's claim of 24-hour power to farmers
- Pakistan on tenterhooks as talks with IMF go down to the wire
- Modi-Netanyahu bonhomie takes centre stage as India and Israel deepen innovation and security partnership
- Setback for actor Unni Mukundan as HC lifts stay in case of outraging modesty of a woman
- Stalin directs officials to operationalise all announced schemes by year end
- Guj HC reserves order on whether PM Modi's degree certificate can be shared
- Why not the Nehru surname? Modi targets Gandhi family and Cong for 'misusing Art 356' (Lead)
- Govt put weak case to save bungalow of a BJP member: Goa Cong