UP priest seeks security after solemnising inter-faith marriages - Bareilly (Uttar Pradesh) News
by IANS | Updated Dec 15, 2022
The priest, Pandit K.K. Shankdhar, met the Bareilly Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Akhilesh Chaurasia and sought security. He said he has solemnised weddings of 64 Muslim women with Hindu men in the past six years -- 20 in this year alone.
Shankdhar claimed that he was recently intercepted by some youths near a shrine and threatened but he managed to escape.
The priest claimed that he has been receiving calls from private numbers where the callers are threatening to behead him.
"I am apprehensive of an attack on me anytime and, hence, want security from police," he said.
Shankdhar said he was being targeted since he performs "rituals for non-Hindu women marrying Hindu men and helps them convert their religion before marriage".
The SSP said, "I have forwarded Shankdhar's application to the circle officer of the local intelligence unit and asked them to provide a report on it. The decision to give security to him will be taken on the basis of the report."
- Rahul making baseless allegations against govt: Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Police arrests Amity student who tried to run over traffic cop
- BRS MLAs poaching case: SC to hear on Feb 17 plea against CBI probe
- Did Centre give directions to raid SDPI offices? K'taka HC to govt
- Kashmir Pandit body demands SIT to assess role of NC, PDP in promoting 'Muslim separatism'
- Social luminary Appasaheb Dharmadhikari named 'Maharashtra Bhushan' 2023
- Upendra Kushwaha asks Nitish to promote JD(U) leaders and not Tejashwi
- Mehbooba detained by Delhi Police during protest
- 3 must-read books for tea-lovers
- How the timing of your food can affect weight loss