Teacher recruitment scam: Calcutta HC imposes Rs 2L penalty on Manik Bhattacharya - Kolkata News
by IANS | Updated Jan 16, 2023
Bhattacharya is presently in judicial custody. While imposing the fine on Bhattacharya, Justice Abhijit Gangopadhyay observed that he wondered how such a person could be the head of WBBPE.
Justice Gangopadhyay also directed that a notice of the financial penalty be served to Bhattacharya at the Presidency Central Correctional Home, where he is housed now. He also said that the former WBBPE president will have to arrange for depositing the penalty amount in the court within 15 days from the day the notice is served to him.
Justice Gangopadhyay gave this verdict while hearing a petition filed by Mala Rani Pal, who appeared for the entrance examination for recruiting primary teachers way back in 2014.
In her petition, Pal alleged that she is yet to be informed whether she qualified in the examination. She also alleged that since she was not aware of her status in 2014, she could not appear for similar tests in 2016 and 2020, following which her age limit expired.
"Every examinee has the right to know the results of the examination. But unfortunately, this did not happen in this case because the WBBPE was headed by such a person," Justice Gangopadhyay observed while ordering the financial penalty.
The matter will be next heard on January 30.
- After two days of rain & snow weather improves in Kashmir
- TN power utility seeks approval to purchase solar power from farmers
- Jammu-Srinagar National Highway closed for 2nd day
- Sonia to attend President address as Congress leaders stuck in Srinagar
- BRS & AAP to boycott Prez address
- PM Modi to visit poll bound K'taka on Feb 6
- Rape victim's brother found dead in UP's Meerut
- PM Modi to inaugurate Delhi-Mumbai Expressway on Feb 12
- Three held for duping Swiss tourist at Taj Mahal
- Prez Murmu to address joint sitting of Parliament first time