Study of 1.6mn patients find very low incidence of severe Covid after booster - New York News
by IANS | Updated Oct 07, 2022
Hospitalisations for Covid-19 disease among individuals who had received vaccines and boosters occurred almost exclusively among high-risk patients including older adults and adults of all ages with certain comorbidities or immunocompromising conditions.
The retrospective study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), found the incidence -- new cases over time -- of hospitalisation for Covid-19 pneumonia or death was 8.9 per 10,000 persons who had been vaccinated and boosted.
While the incidence for vaccinated and boosted older adults with comorbid or immunocompromising conditions was 10-fold higher, it was still a relatively low rate of occurrence of bad outcomes.
"This is remarkable, good news about the power and effectiveness of receiving Covid-19 boosting for all groups," said co-author and scientist Dawn Bravata from Regenstrief Institute and Roudebush VA Medical Center research.
"These results, from a period of Delta and Omicron predominance, should encourage people to get vaccinated and boosted," said Bravata, who is also a professor of medicine at Indiana University School of Medicine in the US.
To avoid misclassification of death or other serious outcomes due to Covid rather than to other health issues, the study authors rigorously evaluated patient medical records for breakthrough Covid-19, Covid-19 pneumonia and death, as opposed to simply considering all hospitalisations among patients with a positive Covid-19 lab test.
"Early in the pandemic, many researchers, including our own group, published studies about Covid-19 hospitalizations. But we're in a different era now when patients who are admitted to the hospital with a non-Covid illness are screened; some of whom will test positive. Evaluating outcomes such as Covid-19 pneumonia or mortality -- as opposed to simply considering all hospitalisation -- makes more sense," said Dr Bravata.
October 07, 2022 Other New York
- Water color Crossword Clue NYT
- Like The Wheel Deal as a bike shop name Crossword Clue NYT
- River that's the setting for van Gogh's "Fishing in Spring" Crossword Clue NYT
- Lauder of cosmetics Crossword Clue NYT
- Cause of a pocket buzz Crossword Clue NYT
- Church recess Crossword Clue NYT
- Knight's journey Crossword Clue NYT
- Bring together Crossword Clue NYT
- Building wing Crossword Clue NYT
- Forcefully throw, in modern slang Crossword Clue NYT
- ISRO conducts initial trials of human space mission crew module recovery
- Digital lending apps issue clarifications after Centre's ban on loan apps
- MSI launches new line-up of laptops in India
- Cybersecurity firm Secureworks lays off 9% of staff
- Need tougher laws to tame Big Tech from collecting personal data: Joe Biden
- YouTube Music rolls out redesigned album view for Android, iOS
- iPhone 15 Pro Max to feature 2,500 nits display panel from Samsung
- Google to end feature that shows playable podcasts in search results
- Meta plans to include younger teens in its Horizon Worlds app
- Apple expanding 'Communication Safety' feature to more countries