Stop media reports on Adani firms unless verified by Sebi, lawyer urges SC - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Feb 07, 2023
The interim application, filed by advocate M.L. Sharma, said media hype has led to the Indian share market "crashing by more than 50 per cent and the allegations are creating panic amongst the investors".
Sharma's application is a part of his PIL, which was filed last week. The plea has not been listed so far for hearing.
The application further added that common investors are being butchered which must be stopped in the interest of justice, while seeking a "gag order" on statements or other related news reports unless they are filed with and verified by Sebi.
The PIL filed by Sharma contended that US resident Nate Anderson of Hindenburg Research and his Indian entities "hatched a criminal conspiracy did short sale in hundreds of billion dollars prior and thereafter on 25th January 2023, they released a concocted news as research report qua to the Adani Group of the companies, got crash share market and squared up their short sell position at the lowest rate".
American short seller Hindenburg Research's report about Indian billionaire Gautam Adani has led to a stock rout, erasing over $100 billion from his empire and pushing him down on the global rich list. The Adani group rubbished the allegations made by the Hindenburg Research.
Sharma's plea further added, "they secured billions of profits by butchering citizens of India. However, SEBI did not suspend trading in the stock specially qua to the Adani group of the companies and allowed short sellers to exploit innocent investors".
The plea said: "Issue writ of mandamus to the respondents to conduct inquiry to prosecute & register FIR u/s 420 & 120-B of IPC r.w. S.15HA SEBI Act against the short sellers (Mr. Anderson and his associate (in India/US) for exploiting innocent Investors via short selling under the garb of artificial crashing via short selling couple with further direction to recover their turnover of short selling with penalty to compensate investors in the interest of justice".
- Sebi 'fully equipped', could set up a panel of experts, Centre to SC on Adani issue
- Essar Oil & Gas Exploration & Production achieves highest ever revenue and EBIDTA
- Renault Nissan to invest $600 million, launch six new models (Lead)
- Inflation-linked road toll rate hike to be modest in FY24: ICRA
- Homegrown EV mobility solutions provider Magenta Mobility raises $40 mn
- Researcher says PokerBaazi exposed users' information, platform denies data breach (Lead)
- Piyush Goyal directs FCI to open more procurement centres in UP
- IIT-K unveils breakthrough in coal/mineral transportation
- Mumbai airport records surge in passenger movement, traffic up by 149% in Jan
- Tesla adjusts its EV pricing for 4th time in US