Smaller rate hikes likely coming in Dec: US Fed chairman - Washington News
by IANS | Updated Dec 01, 2022
"The time for moderating the pace of rate increases may come as soon as the December meeting," CNN quoted Powell as saying at the Hutchins Center on Fiscal and Monetary Policy, his last public appearance before the central bank enters a blackout period ahead of its December 13-14 policymaking meeting.
"Despite some promising developments, we have a long way to go," Powell said, noting that the Fed has "not seen clear progress" on decades-high inflation plaguing the economy.
Investors have been closely watching for any indication that the Fed might slow or even pause its punishing schedule of rate hikes, the much-talked about pivot that would release the brakes the central bank slammed on the economy.
But Fed officials have ramped up their rhetoric in recent weeks to disseminate the message that there's much more work to do, and will forge ahead with rate increases, albeit smaller, until the current bout of decades-high inflation shows signs of abating, reports CNN.
St. Louis Federal Reserve President James Bullard warned this week athat the stock market is underpricing the risk of a continually aggressive Fed, and New York Federal Reserve President John Williams told the Economic Club of New York on Monday that inflation remains the "No. 1 economic concern across the globe", citing underlying inflation in the service sector as "the most challenging" aspect of the battle.
- Chip-maker Intel to layoff about 340 employees at California campus
- Samsung's Q4 profit drops 69% on sluggish demand, lowest since 2014
- Indian economy remains a 'bright spot' per IMF
- SC upholds NCLAT order on dues of Jet Airways' former employees
- ITC commences Rs 450 cr food manufacturing facility in Telangana
- Govt progressing on policy of adopting import substitutes, cost-effective indigenous fuels: Gadkari
- All outstanding ratings, including Adani company, under continuous surveillance: Acuite Ratings
- Sindhudurg to be linked with Hyderabad, Mysuru by 2 flights a week
- LIC's exposure to Adani group is only 0.975% of its AUM
- Xiaomi's Manu Jain moves on after 9 yrs, prepares for 'beginning of a new journey'