S.Korean Parliament votes to impeach Interior Minister over 2022 crowd crush - Seoul News
by IANS | Updated Feb 08, 2023
The National Assembly, dominated by the main liberal opposition Democratic Party (DP), voted 179 to 109 in favour of impeaching Lee, reports Xinhua news agency.
Five other votes were counted invalid.
Lee will be suspended from duty until the constitutional court rules in favour of or against the impeachment motion, proposed by the DP and two minor liberal parties.
It marked the country's first impeachment of a cabinet member in history of the unicameral parliament.
Liberal lawmakers criticized the conservative government for its bungled response to the deadly incident.
After wrapping up a 74-day probe into the "man-made disaster" last month, the special police investigation team referred 23 government officials to the prosecution on professional negligence and other charges.
The team, however, decided not to hold any officials from the Interior Ministry, the Seoul city government and the national police agency criminally liable for the disaster.
- Sikh professor deported in 2021 returns to Fiji
- Israeli fighter jets strike Gaza military post in response to rocket fire
- Cambodia revokes West-backed VOD radio's license over 'slanderous' broadcast
- Sedition case against ex-Pak Finance Minister for 'sabotaging negotiations' with IMF
- 6.1-magnitude quake hits New Zealand
- US-China rivalry will not split the world, globalisation is here to stay: Study
- S.Korean civic group accuses Army man of covering up suicide of bullied conscript
- Questions about spate of high-altitude objects shot down over North America
- Cambodian Prime Minister visits Laos; discusses strategic partnership, border
- Venezuelan Prez urges youths to defeat US blockade on National Youth Day