Shimla gets season's first snowfall - Shimla News
by IANS | Updated Jan 13, 2023
The snowfall has also brought cheers to hoteliers who are expecting a brisk business duirng the weekend.
"High hills in Shimla town and its nearby areas have experienced snowfall and this was the season's first snowfall in Shimla," an official of the Meteorological Department here told IANS.
Places near to Shimla like Kufri and Narkanda have experienced moderate snowfall, turning the tourist destinations more picturesque.
As news of the snowfall spread, tourists flocked to Shimla, known for the imperial grandeur of its buildings that were once institutions of power when the town served as the summer capital of British India.
"We witnessed the snowfall for the first time. We were awaiting the snowfall for the past many days," said Ridhma Kashyap, a tourist from Chandigarh, who was in Shimla along with her friends.
The snowy landscape in Shimla, which recorded a low of 1.4 degrees Celsius, would stay for a day, an official of the Met Office said.
Reports said areas in Shimla districts like apple belt Jubbal and Kharapathar experienced snow.
"High-altitude areas of Lahaul-Spiti, Chamba, Kullu, Kinnaur and Shimla districts have been experiencing moderate snow," the official said.
Manali, which recorded a low of 0.4 degrees Celsius, saw 4 cm snow. The majestic Dhauladhar ranges in the Kangra valley got a fresh blanket of snow cover.
Kalpa, some 250 km from the state capital and Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district experienced snow. These towns saw the night temperature fall to minus 2.6 degrees and minus 6.3 degree Celsius, respectively.
Lower areas of the state like Dharamsala, Palampur, Solan, Nahan, Bilaspur, Una, Hamirpur and Mandi towns received rain, pushing down the temperature considerably.
The Met Office has forecast that scattered rain or snow is likely in the state till Saturday.
After the opening of the skies, the minimum temperature across the state could plummet by three to four notches, the weatherman added.
- Delhi Police nab man for extorting money from woman with nude video
- Mumbai: TISS students cancel BBC documentary show after BJYM protests
- 4 killed in road accident in Bengal's Jalpaiguri
- Refurbishment of 1400 km roads, e-scooters for last-mile connectivity: Delhi CM announces two projects
- Cattle smuggling proceeds invested in film produced by Trinamool MP: BJP MLA
- Will former Pak PM Imran Khan go to jail after Fawad Chaudhry's dramatic arrest?
- Terrorist convicted in Batla House encounter case dies at AIIMS
- Pakistan's economic meltdown triggers infighting; blame game among political class intensifies
- HC allows woman to settle with kid in Aus as father doesn't turn up after divorce
- Pandit Jasraj's native place in Haryana to get facelift