Shehbaz meets Biden at reception for world leaders in New York - New York News
by IANS | Updated Sep 23, 2022
Shehbaz Sharif, along with other world leaders, were invited to the reception by the US President, Express Tribune reported.
This is the first interaction between Biden and the Pakistani Prime Minister. Since his election, Biden had not spoken to either then Prime Minister Imran Khan or his successor, it said.
The meeting, despite being informal, is significant given the fact that the Biden administration, during Imran Khan's tenure, largely ignored Pakistan.
However, since the change of government, there has been a flurry of engagements between the two countries.
Earlier, in his address to the UN General Assembly, Biden made a fervent pitch for extending help to Pakistan where floods had caused huge devastation.
In his address, he announced over $2.9 billion in new assistance to address global food insecurity, building on the $6.9 billion in US government assistance to support global food security already committed this year.
Earlier this month, a senior adviser of the US Secretary of State visited Pakistan and the Biden administration also approved the $450 million sale of F-16 equipment to Pakistan.
September 23, 2022 Other New York
- Biden 'determined' to continue helping flood-ravaged Pakistan
- Dow tumbles as recession fears mount
- NYT Crossword Answers for September 23 2022, Find Out The Answers To The Full Crossword Puzzle, September 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif fears 'all hell to break loose' sans debt relief
- Eating walnuts everyday may lower your BMI, control BP
- Yemeni FM calls for faster salvage of derelict oil tanker
- War increased gender-based violence in Ukraine: UN policy paper
- System Requirements
- Optical Illusion
- Crossword Clue
- Net Worth
- Brain Teaser