SC agrees to examine Google's plea on Jan 16 against CCI's penalty of Rs 1,337.76 cr - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 11, 2023
Senior advocate A.M. Singhvi, representing Google, mentioned the matter before a bench headed by Chief Justice D.Y. Chandrachud.
Singhvi contended that the CCI passed extraordinary directions and the compliance date has been fixed as January 19, though the appeal was filed in December. Singhvi said, "I am asking (listing of the case) for Friday..."
The bench, also comprising Justice P.S. Narasimha, said, "We will keep it on Monday". Singh emphasized that the compliance date of the order is January 19, otherwise the matter will become infructuous.
Google moved the apex court after the setback at NCLAT, which did not stay the CCI order on abuse of dominant position in multiple markets in the Android mobile device ecosystem case.
Earlier this month, the NCLAT did not find any urgency to pass an interim order, after noting that Google filed the appeal in December last year, though the CCI passed the order in October. It directed Google to deposit 10 per cent of the fine amount.
The tribunal had said that there was no urgency shown in the filing of the appeal, therefore Google could not be allowed to press for interim relief.
In October last year, the CCI had imposed a penalty of Rs 1,337.76 crore on the company for abusing its dominant position in multiple markets in relation to Android mobile devices.
The CCI also imposed a penalty of Rs 936.44 crore on the company for abusing its dominant position with respect to its Play Store policies.
- Work in progress to fine-tune alignment for Hyderabad Metro
- TDP to raise post-bifurcation issues in Parliament
- Bikers ram, chase car in Bengaluru, police launch hunt for accused
- Interstate gang behind paper leak, new exam dates in 100 days: GPSSB Chairman
- KTR invited to World Environmental & Water Resources Congress
- UNGA President Csaba Korosi arrives in India on three-day visit
- Modi Council of Ministers meeting on, big decisions expected
- Rahul Gandhi must thank PM for hoisting Tricolour at Lal Chowk: BJP
- Delhi CM urges Centre to provide 1,300 MGD water to ensure round-the-clock supply
- Shivpal named general secretary in SP's new executive