Really hope that Jasprit Bumrah is fully fit, more than 100% fit: Irfan Pathan - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 09, 2023
Bumrah has been out of cricketing action since September 2022 and has also missed the Men's T20 World Cup in Australia due to a back injury. "Look I'm very sceptical about Jasprit Bumrah's comeback, I'm hoping that he will not have an injury effect on his bowling. But I really hope that he is fully fit, more than hundred per cent fit, which is what I want to look at because a player like Bumrah, is very important to the Indian team," said Pathan on 'Follow the Blues' show on Star Sports.
Pathan also stressed on why a fit Bumrah is extremely crucial for the Indian team in the build-up to the ODI World Cup. "For him to play consistently and remain fit is of utmost importance because to find a player of his quality is very rare, so to manage him and for him to manage his body and to keep his fitness levels on top as well as to keep his mind on recovering from his stress injury and go under rehabilitation, and to continue to grow and move forward as a cricketer is of vital importance not only to Bumrah but for the team management as well."
From Tuesday onwards, through the three-match series against Sri Lanka, India have 15 ODIs through bilateral series and the Asia Cup in September before the 50-over World Cup happens in the country in October-November. Pathan is expecting the shortlisted 20 players to be a part of the matches in the run-up to the mega event.
"It is important to win the series, whatever series we play. The bilateral series or if you play the home or away series, it is important to win your confidence as well. But the aim would be the 2023 World Cup which is happening in India this October."
"So keeping the World Cup in mind, we need to focus on the team combination and select the 11 players accordingly. I expect team India to field only those players these 20 matches who will be playing the 2023 World Cup so that everyone gets enough time to prepare themselves and this preparation for the World Cup starts with the India vs Sri Lanka series."
- PVL: Presence of fans in stadiums across the three cities will add to the electrifying atmosphere inside the venues, says Joy Bhattacharjya
- Women's T20 Tri-series: Deepti Sharma helps dominant India thrash West Indies
- La Laga 2022-23: Four things we learned in Spain's Matchday 19 (Analysis)
- SA20: MI Cape Town pick Tim David as replacement for injured Livingstone
- SA20: MI Cape Town pick Henry Brookes in place of Olly Stone for 2023 season
- MP CM Shivraj Chouhan declares Khelo India Youth Games open in Bhopal
- Sachin Tendulkar, BCCI office-bearers to felicitate World Cup-winning U19 women's team
- World Veterans TT: Yogesh Desai claims gold in 70+, Mantu Murmu wins women's 60+ crown
- Boxer Tamanna Beniwal looking to win 4th medal in Khelo India Youth Games
- New Zealand's Bracewell refuses to criticise Lucknow pitch after losing T20I on spin-friendly track