RBI's MPC to meet soon; decision of Nov 3 meeting under wraps contrary to law - Chennai News
by IANS | Updated Nov 30, 2022
The MPC had met on November 3, to discuss what it would tell the central government on the reasons why it was not able to restrain the inflation.
As per the Section 45ZN of the RBI Act, when the RBI fails to meet the inflation target, it shall send a report to the Central government listing: (a) the reasons for failure to achieve the inflation target; (b) remedial actions proposed to be taken by it; and (c) an estimate of the time-period within which the inflation target shall be achieved pursuant to timely implementation of proposed remedial actions.
The proceedings of the said MPC meeting have not been made public even though the law provides to the contrary.
As per section 45ZK, the RBI shall publish, after the conclusion of every meeting of MPC, the resolution adopted by the said Committee.
Further as per the Section 45ZL of the RBI Act, the minutes of the MPC meeting has to be published on the 14th day after every meeting including:
(a) the resolution adopted at the meeting of the MPC;
(b) the vote of each member of the MPC, ascribed to such member, on resolutions adopted in the said meeting; and
(c) the statement of each member of the MPC under sub-section (11) of Section 45ZL on the resolutions adopted in the said meeting.
Be that as it may, Deepak Agarwal, CIO (Debt) Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company said the average CPI in India for FY 24 is expected in the band of 5.00-5.25 per cent. Assuming 100 bps real rates, terminal repo rate in India could be about 6.25 per cent.
"We expect a 35 bps hike in the Dec 22 policy, along with a change in monetary policy stance from 'withdrawal of accommodation' to 'neutral' " indicating further action to be data dependent," Agarwal said.
- Centre asks Vodafone Idea to convert Rs 16,000 dues into equity
- J&K sanctions Rs 62 cr project for commercial cultivation of herbal riches
- Paytm Founder announces operating profitability, says free cash flow generation is next
- Over 20K foreign buyers from 28 countries invited to inaugural Rajasthan Int’l Expo
- Budget allocated Rs 10K cr for railway sector in Odisha: Vaishnaw
- Amid Adani group row, RBI says banking sector remains resilient
- S&P Global revises Adani Electricity, Adani Ports ratings to 'negative'
- DGCA orders probe as Indigo passenger reaches Udaipur instead of Patna
- ITC logs Q3 PAT of Rs 5,031 crore, declares interim dividend of Rs 6
- Punjab imposes 90 paise per litre cess on petrol, diesel