Rahman, Shekhar Kapur talk virtual tech, metaverse at IFFI - Panjim News
by IANS | Updated Nov 28, 2022
The panel, according to 'Variety', was devised and led by Shekhar Kapur (his long-awaited 'What's Love Got to Do With It?' is the Red Sea Film Festival opener) and the participants included Oscar-winning composer A.R. Rahman, Ronald Menzel, co-founder and chief strategy officer at Dreamscape Immersive, and tech maven Pranav Mistry, formerly CEO and president of Samsung Technology and Advanced Research, who joined via video link.
The panelists discussed the concept of the metaverse, which is still in its nascency. Mistry envisaged a future powered by VR, AR and AI where the audience participated in an MCU movie and solved world problems. Rahman spoke about the process of creating his VR project 'Le Musk', which premiered at Cannes earlier this year and is now touring the world.
When asked by Kapur if he could ever be replaced by AI, Rahman said that he is himself a product of an evolution over several distinct career phases; from the early 1990s, to the years after winning the Oscar, to the present day. "I am the AI," Rahman said, in a reference to the technology's evolutionary learning capabilities.
"What VR is doing is taking me on a journey outside myself. When I watched a film like '2001: A Space Odyssey', I watched it 18 times -- it's so beautiful," said Kapur, according to 'Variety'.
He added: "Because each time I am in a different stage of my life and each time it is taking me on a journey somewhere else. So great movies, great compositions that we hear again and again, are doing something to us that is more than just listening to music. It is taking us on what we call a completely virtual journey. And often what technology is trying to do is to create a virtual journey to replace our senses."
- Kiara-Sid to reach Jaisalmer on Feb 5, families to arrive on Saturday
- Kiara, Sidharth to take 'saaat phere' at Jaisalmer's Suryagarh Palace
- Thalapathy Vijay's film No. 67 finally gets a name - 'LEO'
- Dino Morea showcases his football skills in Instagram Reel
- Aisha Ahmed recollects how people in Chandni Chowk thought Akshay Kumar is arriving to shoot 'Minus One: New Chapter'
- Shania Twain drops new album 'Queen of Me'
- Gippy Grewal's Punjabi film 'Honeymoon' completes 100 days in cinemas
- Paulo Coelho calls Shah Rukh 'king', 'legend'; SRK replies
- 'Pathaan' crosses Rs 700 crore worldwide in 9 days
- 'Tere Pyaar Mein' from Ranbir-Shraddha's 'Tu Jhoothi Main Makkaar' was shot across 8 Spanish locations