Puppetry is a universal art form: Viswanatha Pulavar - Kochi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 13, 2023
"This is the universal relevance of puppetry as an art form," said Pulavar.
The puppeteer was giving an introductory talk at the three-day workshop on 'Tholpavakoothu' (shadow puppet play), highlighting the various tricks involved in the art form, at the ongoing Kochi Biennale here.
Pulavar hails from a lineage that has practised puppetry for 13 successive generations, and every member of his family is currently active in the field.
His wife Pushpalatha, son Vipin and daughter-in-law Ramya are also conducting training sessions at the workshop alongside Pulavar.
"The workshop aims to enrich creativity in people regardless of age through Tholpavakoothu. Training will be given on the different steps involved in the art form, beginning with drawing the images on paper, then copying them into the puppet skin, readying the script, and then finally presenting it," said Pulavar.
Stating that earlier deerskin was used to make puppets, Pulavar said, "With the ban on deer hunting coming into effect, puppets are now made using goat and bull skin. Artworks will be depicted on such animal skins after cutting and shaping them to suit various characters with great precision, even on the most minute elements. In the world of puppet play, most artworks are used in puppets belonging to the Kerala tradition.
"Puppet plays are used a lot in the field of education in foreign countries," added Pulavar, who has presented plays using leather puppets in 32 different countries.
"Puppet plays help in eliminating classroom boredom, make things easier to understand, and help in nurturing creativity. They are also the most practical medium for creating awareness against intoxicants," Pulavar said.
- Punjab Cabinet approves electric vehicle policy
- J'khand HC grants relief to Rahul Gandhi in case pertaining to remarks against Amit Shah
- Delhi HC dismisses 2006 Mumbai train blasts convict's plea for govt reports
- Calcutta HC upholds life sentence to Pakistani terrorist held in Kolkata
- All India Motor Transport Congress supports Himachal truckers' stir
- Two arrested for gang-raping minor in Bihar's Sheohar
- BJP wins 4 out of 5 seats in UP MLC election
- Assam: Massive crackdown against child marriages; 1,800 held
- Two Bengaluru cops suspended for extorting couple
- What's new at Surajkund Craft Mela 2023?