Premier League: Rashford scores winner in Manchester derby while there is drama in drop zone - London News
by IANS | Updated Jan 15, 2023
Rashford poked the winning goal home in the 82nd minute following a low cross from the right to seal the win, just four minutes after Bruno Fernandes had canceled out Jack Grealish's looping header, which had given City a 60th-minute lead, reports Xinhua news agency.
Fernandes' goal was surrounded by controversy as Rashford, who was in a clear offside position had run alongside the ball, before the Portuguese latched onto it, but the goal was given after the VAR decided he had not interfered with play.
Solly March scored twice and Danny Welbeck added a third as Brighton beat Liverpool 3-0 to move above their rivals into seventh in the table.
Brighton outplayed Liverpool from the start and missed chances in the first half, before March's two goals in the 46th and 53rd minute put Brighton on track for a win.
Liverpool coach Jurgen Klopp described his side's performance as the "worst" since he has been in charge.
There were post-match protests at Goodison Park after Everton surrendered a lead to lose 2-1 to bottom-of-the-table Southampton. Andre Onana had put Everton ahead in the 39th minute, but two second-half goals from James Ward-Prowse -- the second a perfectly taken free kick, gave Southampton their first league win under Nathan Jones and increase the pressure on Everton coach Frank Lampard.
West Ham coach David Moyes is also in danger of losing his job after his side dropped into the bottom three after a 1-0 defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Daniel Podence's 48th goal gave the Wolves the win to continue their recovery under Julen Lopetegui.
Nottingham Forest also continue to recover after two goals from Brennan Johnson gave them a 2-0 win in the East Midlands derby at home to Leicester City. The win lifts Forest to 13th in the table, while Leicester have lost their last four matches.
Alex Moreno made an impressive debut, but Argentina keeper, Emiliano Martinez was the hero as Aston Villa beat Leeds United 2-1 to climb the table.
Leon Bailey and Emi Buendia gave Aston Villa a 2-0 lead with goals in the third and 64th minute, with Martinez making a string of saves before Patrick Bamford scored a consolation for Leeds with seven minutes remaining.
- I-League 2022-23: Goals and cards galore as Kenkre hold table-toppers Punjab
- 3rd T20I: I look to keep it simple and back my gut feeling, says Hardik on his captaincy philosophy
- 3rd T20I: It feels good when you practice and it pays off, says Gill after his century
- Football: Busy close to transfer window in Premier League
- Khelo India Youth Games: Hosts Madhya Pradesh sweep medals in kayaking and canoeing
- 3rd T20I: Shubman Gill's ton, bowlers power India to clinical 2-1 series win over New Zealand (Ld)
- 3rd T20I: Shubman Gill's ton, bowlers lead India to massive 168-run win over New Zealand
- La Liga 2022-23: Real Madrid eye three points against managerless Valencia
- PSA Challenger Squash: Abhay Singh, Amina Orfi clinch men's and women's titles
- PVL: Presence of fans in stadiums across the three cities will add to the electrifying atmosphere inside the venues, says Joy Bhattacharjya