Powerful winter storm to batter US - Washington News
by IANS | Updated Dec 22, 2022
The storm system will be "significant and disruptive," according to the National Weather Service (NWS) on Wednesday.
The storm, the NWS said, is forecast to produce a multitude of weather hazards over the next several days, as heavy snowfall, strong winds, and dangerously cold temperatures span from the Intermountain West through the Plains, the Great Lakes, and the central Appalachians, Xinhua news agency reported.
Much of the country "will see dangerous cold over the next few days, and it will arrive suddenly with a powerful Arctic front," the NWS Weather Prediction Centre tweeted.
Travel may become difficult immediately behind the front with bursts of snow and gusty winds leading to sudden whiteouts, flash freezing, and icy roads, the agency warned.
- 2 missing after cargo ships collide off western Japan
- Landslides in Indonesia kill 2
- Austrian court convicts 4 over 2020 Vienna terrorist attack
- Pakistan's forex reserves barely enough to provide import cover for 18.5 days
- Pakistan facing balance of payments crisis
- Pakistani rupee plunges to historic low
- Police in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa take to the streets against Peshawar suicide bombing
- Philippines' debt eased to $248.73bn by 2022 end
- Sacred rocks from Nepal to build Ram statue in Ayodhya handed over
- Japan's crime rate increases for 1st time in 20 years