'Pathaan' first Hindi film to make $100 mn without China release - Los Angeles News
by IANS | Updated Feb 07, 2023
And now with its earnings going up to $103.6 million through Monday, it is the first Bollywood movie to reach the $100-million milestone without a China release, 'Deadline' adds.
The split sits at Rs 526 gross crore ($64.2 million) in India and $39.4 million from overseas markets through Monday. Already, the Siddharth Anand-directed movie is the biggest Bollywood movie ever globally in the original Hindi language.
This is where, according to 'Deadline', it gets slightly confusing in terms of the records posted. Aamir Khan-starrers 'Dangal' and 'Secret Superstar', both Bollywood titles, remain ahead of 'Pathaan' worldwide, but that includes more than $100 million each from China, where the movies were dubbed for local audiences.
Similarly, 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan', which features Salman Khan, who also appears in 'Pathaan', is still ahead globally, having had a dubbed China release. There is no word yet on a China window for 'Pathaan'.
In India, notes 'Deadline', where box office earnings are measured in both gross and net figures, 'Pathaan' maker Yash Raj Films reports that the film's Rs 438.5 crore net takings on Monday surpassed the net of the Hindi-dubbed version of the Yash-starrer 'KGF 2' (it was originally in the Kannada language).
Next ahead of 'Pathaan' on a net basis is S.S. Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' with a Rs 510-crore ($61.7 million) lifetime collection in Hindi (the film was originally in Telugu).
Whichever way you slice it, as 'Deadline' puts it, 'Pathaan' is having an incredible ride.
- Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively welcome their 4th baby
- XG's 'Left Right' music video contrasts space travel with 1970s visual themes
- Celebrity Cricket League to bring the best of sports, entertainment from Feb 18
- Atif Aslam to perform with Firdaus Orchestra live in concert in Dubai
- Akshay Kumar says he is inspired by Chote Miyan Tiger Shroff
- Days after Burt Bacharach's death, his 'You Can Have Her' with Elvis Costello is out
- U2 all set for Vegas tour celebrating band's 1991 album 'Achtung Baby'
- Bhuvan Bam releases new song from 'Taaza Khabar' in collaboration with his old pals
- Jennifer Coolidge gets funnily sticky in Super Bowl ad for makeup brand
- Anil Kapoor, Aditya Roy Kapur feature on book cover of John le Carre's 'The Night Manager'