Oly medals won by Sushil, Yogeshwar served as huge motivation: Sakshi
by IANS | Updated Jun 17, 2020
"I had been playing sports since I was a child but had little idea about the Olympics, Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. It was after I got into wrestling and started winning medals at a junior level that the interest in these events started going up," Sakshi said on Wednesday.
"Later on, as Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt started winning medals including at the Olympics, it served as a huge motivation for me.
Speaking of her Olympic bronze and the iconic moment when her coach Kuldeep Malik took her around the wrestling arena on his shoulders, Sakshi said it took some time for her to realise what she achieved.
"When I reached that bronze medal match, I didn't want to lose at the final hurdle. My coach kept telling me that you are better than her (opponent). It was a tough match and only at the very end was I able to win. I can't explain in words what the feeling of winning was, I didn't know whether to laugh or smile or cry."
On the significance of her Olympic medal, she said, "My coach explained to me that my life will change after this medal but when I grow old, it is a precious memory that will always remain with me. I am very grateful for all the love the country has given me after I won the Olympic bronze."
The Khel Ratna awardee made these comments while speaking at the wrestling session of E-Pathshala, the athlete and coach education program being conducted by the Sports Authority of India in association with the Wrestling Federation of India.
"This is a very good initiative by SAI and WFI. In these difficult times, when even we can't train properly, with these sessions you can stay at home and learn a lot," she said.
- ISL 2022-23: Jamshedpur FC register 2-0 win over NorthEast United FC
- Prime Volleyball League: Bengaluru Torpedoes go down to Kolkata Thunderbolts in opener
- ACC board meeting: Decision on Asia Cup 2023 venue deferred to next month
- ISL 2022-23: Mumbai City FC share points with Hyderabad FC as their League Shield prospects grow
- Davis Cup 2023: India suffer 2-3 loss against Denmark in Group I play-offs
- ISL 2022-23: Bengaluru FC look to continue charge for playoffs as ATK Mohun Bagan eye third place (preview)
- ILT20: Hetmyer fifty helps Gulf Giants beat Desert Vipers, confirm top-two finish
- Real Madrid, Barcelona continue title race in La Liga (preview)
- ILT20: Breezy knocks by Md Waseem, Pollard take MI Emirates to playoffs
- SA20: MI Cape Town captain Rashid Khan asks teammates to play smart cricket in next matches