'No evidence to show conspiracy': Suspended J&K DSP seeks bail
by IANS | Updated Jun 17, 2020
Singh has sought default bail on the ground that the charge sheet was not filed within requisite 90 days period as prescribed under law. In general cases, the charge sheet needs to be filed within 90 days of arrest, failing which the accused person is entitled to bail.
Irfan Shafi Mir, another accused in the case, has also moved a bail application. The plea is slated to be heard by the court on Thursday.
Besides this, the bail plea asserts that the accused are wrongly and falsely implicated in the case.
"There is no material evidence to show the existence of any conspiracy to commit any act with intent to threaten or likely to threaten the unity, integrity, security or sovereignty of India and there is also no material to substantiate that the accused had the intention or conspired to carry out a terror strike," it added.
On June 9, the duo, along with another accused Syed Naveed Mushtaq had sought bail but later withdrew their plea.
The Special Cell of the Delhi Police is probing their role in alleged planning of a terror attack.
Singh was under judicial custody in Hira Nagar Jail in Jammu and Kashmir till June 16. Besides him, Mir and Mushtaq, another accused Javed Iqbal is also under custody.
Delhi Police's Special Cell had brought him from Hira Nagar Jail to the national capital in March for interrogation in another case.
Police had earlier told the court that Mushtaq, who is the commander of Hizbul Mujahiddeen in J&K's Shopian district, along with other militants, were planning to execute a terror attack in Delhi and other parts of the country and targeted killings of protected persons.
In connection with this, the Delhi Police had filed FIR which stated that the youths of Jammu and Kashmir and Punjab are being trained for carrying out terrorist activities. Singh was taken in custody under this FIR and was also interrogated regarding the Khalistan angle.
- Sangh is neither right nor left wing, says RSS general secretary
- Gujarat: Woman, paramour held for her son's murder
- Union Budget instrument to push country into huge debt: Sisodia
- Man held at Mumbai airport with cocaine valued at Rs 33.60cr
- Tripura tribal party to contest alone in Feb 16 Assembly polls
- India lists Pak-based terrorist Abdul Rehman Makki as UN-listed terrorist
- Rs 4K cr for 14,500 PM SHRI Schools, 20 lakh students to benefit
- 'Ameer ke saath, gareeb ka vinash': Siddaramaiah on Union Budget
- Defence Budget: Focus on operational preparedness; thrust on Agniveers' training
- Motivational speaker Nick Vujicic calls on Andhra CM