M'rashtra industry cheers as migrants return: Minister - Mumbai News
by IANS | Updated Jun 18, 2020
The 'wapasi' of migrants to their 'karma-bhoomi' has started soon after the state went into Unlock 1.0 mode from June 1, when thousands of industries reopened in phases.
"In the past three months, around 35 lakh migrants had left the state for their homes in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, etc. But, now they are coming back and daily around 15,000 are returning from different states," Deshmukh said.
This will provide a fillip to the industries which have started operations but were running short of labourers, especially the skilled workers.
Presently, over 60,000 factories have restarted in Maharashtra and nearly 15 lakh workers across all categories have returned to their duties, according to an official of the industries department.
However, to tide over the immediate needs of workers faced by the industries, Industry Minister Subhash Desai last month suggested they could hire local labourers.
Desai has also assured that the government would set up training centres to develop the requisite skills for the new labourers to be employed by factories in the absence of the regular migrants.
Officials said that with the state government recently moving into high-gear mode with the signing of MoUs worth Rs 16,000 crore with various international companies, the labour requirements in the future is expected to go up significantly.
- Kejriwal renewed attack on L-G to 'divert media attention' from ED chargesheet: Delhi BJP
- Two members of Bambiha gang held with illegal arms procured from MP
- 2 held at IGI airport with medicines valued at Rs 86.40L
- 3 injured after DTC bus crashes into subway crossing
- K'taka sex CD scandal: BJP prepares to handover case to CBI
- Lawyer held in Goa for committing theft in court
- 8 specially-abled children from Delhi to take part in World Scout Jamboree
- Two bystanders injured after two men open fire in Delhi's Bhogal market
- I-T dept raids over 30 locations of five builder groups across Jaipur
- January payment to be cleared soon: MCD commissioner tells HC