Missing war documents: Shiv Sena MP writes to Culture Minister - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 10, 2023
"This highlights the need for enhancing transparency and accessibility of records to the general public, academicians, and researchers by declassifying information of historical importance under the Public Records Act, 1993 and liberal application of the colonial legislations such as Official Secrets Act, 1923," she wrote in her letter.
She said the Defence Minister's recent order to declassify important war records older than 25 years is highly appreciated.
"It is also suggested that the Committee formed for the review and study of such documents may be kept free of bureaucratic control depending on the sensitivity of the subject matter concerned," she wrote.
The Shiv Sena MP said the National Archives of India is the custodian of India's history and identity. If the history is not preserved and made more accessible to those of us who seek to understand it, the tendency to use an imagined past or to repeat forgotten mistakes will be the only and rather disastrous way forward.
- Rahul Gandhi must thank PM for hoisting Tricolour at Lal Chowk: BJP
- Delhi CM urges Centre to provide 1,300 MGD water to ensure round-the-clock supply
- Shivpal named general secretary in SP's new executive
- Nagaland polls: BJP, NDPP likely to readjust seat-sharing pact
- Green India Challenge flag hoisted on Antarctica's highest mountain
- Bike racing in Kerala's Kovalam kills woman
- 8 benefits of a weighted blanket
- Pro-BJP wave in Karnataka, says CM Bommai
- Pedalling for a Cancer Free World
- Epicurean delicacies at your doorstep