Mamata attacks Centre for neglecting Gangasagar Mela - Kolkata News
by IANS | Updated Jan 04, 2023
"The Union government provides all assistance and expenditure for Kumbh Mela. But they do not provide any financial assistance for Gangasagar Mela. The entire expenditure of the Gangasagar Mela has to be borne by the state. I request the Union government to declare Gangasagar Island at a national event," she said during her visit to Sagar Island on Wednesday to review the security arrangements for the mega event.
The nine-day religious gathering will begin on January 9 and go on till January 17, while the holy dip on the occasion of Makar Sankranti will be taken on January 14 and January 15.
The state administration is expecting a record turnout of around 30 lakh pilgrims at the Gangasagar Mela this time considering that there will not be a coinciding Kumbh Mela.
The Chief Minister also said it is unfortunate that people still have to travel through waterways to attend the Gangasagar Mela, while the Kumbh Mela held at Prayagraj is well connected through rail and air routes.
"I have repeatedly appealed to the Union government to look into the matter. But I am yet to get any firm commitment. A bridge is required to be constructed over the Muri Ganga River here. But that will cost around Rs 10,000 crore. But we are still looking into the matter," she said.
- Kashmir Pandit body demands SIT to assess role of NC, PDP in promoting 'Muslim separatism'
- Social luminary Appasaheb Dharmadhikari named 'Maharashtra Bhushan' 2023
- Upendra Kushwaha asks Nitish to promote JD(U) leaders and not Tejashwi
- Mehbooba detained by Delhi Police during protest
- 3 must-read books for tea-lovers
- How the timing of your food can affect weight loss
- What is 'Dry Dating' and why is it popular in 2023?
- Natural fibres popular in 2023
- Udayanidhi Stalin to campaign for EVKS Elangovan in Erode East bypolls
- Dalit family gets police protection after threats from upper castes in UP