Maira Dharti Mehra: I wanted to change my name to acknowledge my mother's influence in shaping me - Mumbai News
by IANS | Updated Jan 12, 2023
Talking about her name change, the actress says: "Yes, I changed my name, but not for the industry, but to empower all the single parents out there. Earlier, my name was Ashwini Shukla but now I am Maira Dharti Mehra. "
When asked about the reason which led to changing her name, the actress adds: "The main reason was the separation of my parents. Since a very young age, I have been brought up by my mother single-handedly, so I wanted to change my name to acknowledge my mother's influence in shaping me. She has been my role model and guru, she plays the role of my father, mother, guardian, best friend, philosopher and guide."
Lastly, sharing the incident when she went to change her name, Maira says: "When I went to change my name officially, I was so shocked to see that the form doesn't give you the option for mother's name. The form has only two options - father or husband's name. Even after growing in many spheres of life, we are still lagging behind in the little things that make a difference."
"Why can't the form have the option of a mother's name also? Even today, the idea of having a woman's name as a surname makes people jump. We shout and talk about women empowerment but we deeply need to see where we stand when it comes to giving equal rights to women," she concludes.
- Shania Twain drops new album 'Queen of Me'
- Gippy Grewal's Punjabi film 'Honeymoon' completes 100 days in cinemas
- Paulo Coelho calls Shah Rukh 'king', 'legend'; SRK replies
- 'Pathaan' crosses Rs 700 crore worldwide in 9 days
- 'Tere Pyaar Mein' from Ranbir-Shraddha's 'Tu Jhoothi Main Makkaar' was shot across 8 Spanish locations
- 'King of Kotha' second look poster celebrates 11 years of Dulquer in filmdom
- Armaan Malik releases three new versions of his hit track 'Sun Maahi'
- Kavvin Dave, Sunita Rajwar to host interactive game show 'Bzinga'
- Ellie Bamber plays Kate Moss in new film based on her relationship with Lucian Freud
- Samantha Ruth Prabhu shares photo dump from a busy January