Lucknow: Three held for smuggling prohibited drugs to US - Lucknow News
by IANS | Updated Jan 15, 2023
The STF arrested three men from the Durgapuri locality of Nilmatha area, under the Cantt police circle in Lucknow.
The STF also seized tablets and Rs 6.57 lakh as well as wrappers and packaging material of herbal and ayurvedic medicines.
The accused used to get orders from international customers through WhatsApp, Skype as well as the Dark Web, while the payments were made through online virtual currencies like Bitcoin, payment gateways and through the Hawala network.
They said around Rs 20 lakh has been found in their bank accounts and the process of freezing them is almost over.
STF Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP), Vishal Vikram Singh, said that those arrested were identified as Yasir Jameel Khan Faizi, Hamza Ahmad and Inamul Haq.
He said the trio was arrested when they were present near Yasir Jameel's house near Nilmatha. Prohibited medicines were recovered from the house of Yasir Jameel.
The ASP said Jameel revealed during interrogation that Hamza and Inam had offered to send these two medicines to different addresses in the US after getting orders from international clients. He said Jameel had sent these medicines to US-based clients as many as 150 times in the past two years.
"Yasir said that the duo offered him Rs 600-700 per strip of tablets, available in the Indian market for Rs 30-40. He used to purchase these tablets from different drug dealers and courier to international addresses after changing wrappers with herbal and ayurvedic medicines mentioned on it. He used to make these wrappers himself," the ASP said.
- Tamil Nadu: Avadi commissionerate begins bicycle patrolling
- ED attaches assets worth Rs 13.87cr in bank fraud case
- Coal scam: Recovery amount by ED rises to Rs 1.25 cr, Gajraj Towers' name surfaces (Ld)
- Police nab one for Maha scribe's death, MVA, BUJ, PUCL slam govt (Lead)
- Andhra Cabinet's nod for National Law University at Kurnool
- SC collegium recommends appointment of Chief Justices of 4 HCs
- J&K launches project to promote sustainable agriculture
- J&K: CBI arrests 2 in bribe case
- Leopard that attacked 3 in Ghaziabad court captured (Ld)
- SC removes reference to Sikkimese-Nepalese as 'persons of foreign origin' in its verdict