London Mayor calls for face masks to be mandatory in shops - London News
by IANS | Updated Jun 18, 2020
Currently, it is optional to wear a mask while out shopping but it is recommended to wear one "in an enclosed space where social distancing isn't possible and where you will come into contact with people you do not normally meet", the Metro newspaper reported.
Khan has pressed for this to become a compulsory rule "urgently" in a bid to avoid a second peak, as hundreds flocked to the high street on Monday after non-essential stores opened their doors for the first time in three months.
Taking to Twitter on Thursday, he said: "With lockdown easing, it is our responsibility is to do all we can to prevent a second wave of COVID-19. There's no room for complacency when lives are at risk.
"That's why I'm calling on the government to make face coverings mandatory in all shops and confined public spaces.
"Ignoring the WHO guidance and the example set by other European cities on face coverings risks making us an international outlier.
"As our High Streets reopen, we have a clear opportunity to implement this rule to prevent and control the spread of COVID-19. The government must act now."
The mayor attached a copy of his letter to the tweet in which he says that there was "an increasing body of evidence that the use of non-medical face covering by the public can help reduce the spread of coronavirus", reports the Metro newspaper.
Khan's request comes after he publicly pushed for face masks to be mandatory on public transport – a regulation which came into force on Monday.
Facial coverings must also be worn inside hospitals.
- Electricity crisis continues to undermine economic growth: S. Africa Prez
- Iran, Saudi Arabia to resume normalisation talks soon: FM
- Yemen forms new reserve military units to confront Houthis
- Tanzania embarks on programme to eliminate leprosy by 2030
- Turkey may respond 'differently' to Finland's NATO bid: Prez
- Israel announces punitive measures against Palestinians after shooting attacks
- Lebanon condemns Israeli raid in West Bank
- Indigenous children graves in Canada proof of 'genocide': Iran
- African Swine Fever kills 256 pigs in Indonesia's East Nusa Tenggara
- Cambodia's ruling party fully supports Hun Sen as PM candidate for general election