LA's Covid deaths, hospitalisations surpass last winter levels - Los Angeles News
by IANS | Updated Dec 20, 2022
The county remains in the High Community Level based on the designation of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reports Xinhua news agency.
It witnessed a troubling doubling in the reported seven-day average of deaths per day from two weeks ago, according to the County Public Health Department.
This milestone is a somber reminder of the nearly 34,400 lives lost in the county since the pandemic began in early 2020, said the department.
Although the number of reported Covid-19 cases declined slightly in the county, they remain more than 120 per cent higher than numbers observed one month ago and wastewater data reaffirms that transmission of the virus is currently high.
The county is facing the threat of "tridemic" of Covid surge, a bad flu season and a burgeoning number of RSV cases, straining hospitals and medical staff.
Public health officials are urging the public to update their Covid-19 boosters and flu shots, masking indoors, testing before gatherings, and staying home when sick to limit the spread of Covid during the holiday season.
- China confirms 'unintended' entry of airship into US airspace
- US Secy of State Blinken postpones China visit over spy balloon (Lead)
- US postpones Blinken's China trip over spy balloon
- Life gradually returns to Yemeni beach amid hopes of end of civil war
- Ahmadi worship place vandalised in Karachi
- Resumption of China's outbound travel to boost Malaysia's GDP, says economists
- Somalia gets hospital to provide treatment, care for security forces
- Macao gears up for mainland tour groups, eyes int'l tourist market
- British Sikh, who wanted to 'kill' Queen Elizabeth, pleads guilty
- No bias intimidation charges to be filed in NJ 'bulldozer incident'