J&K sanctions Rs 62 cr project for commercial cultivation of herbal riches - Jammu News
by IANS | Updated Feb 03, 2023
With a budget of Rs 62 crore, this five-year project aims at to cultivate MAPs on 5000 kanals of land spread across 28 clusters, creating over 3,000 jobs and 28 enterprises.
The MAP sector is estimated to contribute about Rs 75 crore every year after five years, which is expected to rise to over Rs 783 crore by 2037.
This ambitious project marks a significant transition from traditional, wild extraction based practices to a a more sustainable, modern approach to MAP cultivation, conservation and entrepreneurship.
The mission of this project is to achieve commercial production of MAPs outside the forests, promote organic farming, develop local and international markets besides boosting advance scientific knowledge through insightful research.
The initiative also aims to promote cultivation and conservation of MAPs, promote organic farming and standardisation, provide special facilities for primary processing, preserve intellectual property rights, educate cultivators on the best practices and undertake research to develop new herbal formulations and drugs.
"There are a number of MAPs that are unique to our agro-climate and offer immense potential for employment and exports. The demand for herbal drugs and cosmetics is growing both domestically and internationally while MAPs extracted from forests put pressure on biodiversity besides pushing many plant species on the verge of extinction" said Atal Dulloo, Additional Chief Secretary, APD.
"J&K has 129 hectare of cultivatable wasteland, of which only 2 per cent shall be used for MAP cultivation. Additionally, farmers who adopt MAP cultivation can expect to see 30-40 per cent increase in their agricultural income," he added.
- Sebi 'fully equipped', could set up a panel of experts, Centre to SC on Adani issue
- Essar Oil & Gas Exploration & Production achieves highest ever revenue and EBIDTA
- Renault Nissan to invest $600 million, launch six new models (Lead)
- Inflation-linked road toll rate hike to be modest in FY24: ICRA
- Homegrown EV mobility solutions provider Magenta Mobility raises $40 mn
- Researcher says PokerBaazi exposed users' information, platform denies data breach (Lead)
- Piyush Goyal directs FCI to open more procurement centres in UP
- IIT-K unveils breakthrough in coal/mineral transportation
- Mumbai airport records surge in passenger movement, traffic up by 149% in Jan
- Tesla adjusts its EV pricing for 4th time in US