It's snow time in Munnar, the 'Kashmir' of South India - Thiruvananthapuram News
by IANS | Updated Jan 12, 2023
Temperatures have been falling in and around Munnar, a popular hill station in Idukki district located around 1,600 metres above sea level.
"Areas like Pampadamshola, Vattavada received snow and tourists are making a bee line to Munnar. Temperatures in certain areas here have fallen to zero degree starting January. Earlier, the coldest month used to be December, but not any more," said a local.
Notably, Munnar is home to unique species of greenery especially the neelakurinji (that blossoms only once in twelve years) besides the endemic species of Nilgiri Thar, grizzled giant squirrel, Nilgiri wood-pigeon, elephant, gaur, Nilgiri langur and the sambar.
And with snow clad meadows in areas like Vattavada and nearby areas, domestic tourists especially from Kochi, which has a good number of techies, are heading to Munnar.
Moreover, with the airports at Kochi, Coimbatore and Madurai all lying within 110 kms to 165 kms, resort owners are expecting a brisk business.
- Plane carrying Andhra Pradesh CM makes emergency landing
- MP minister Narottam Mishra plays anchor role in bringing back Katni mayor to BJP
- Meet Kashmir's self-taught artist whose Insta page of artworks is a hit
- Taaraka Ratna continues to be in critical state at B'luru hospital
- Prime Minister urges UNGA President on Security Council reforms
- Goa minister condemns Amit Shah's statement on Mhadei
- Accountant held for harassing his ex-fiancee
- Chhattisgarh coal levy extortion scam: ED attaches more assets worth Rs 17.48 cr
- Nitish Kumar suffering from memory loss, says BJP MLA
- 'All wolves are joining hands but I will fight them like a lion', Jagan targets Oppn