IS activist arrested by Kolkata Police from MP sent to police custody - Kolkata News
by IANS | Updated Jan 11, 2023
Qureshi was arrested on Monday on the basis of the interrogation of two of his subordinates in the terror module, Mohammad Saddam and Syed Ahmed, who were arrested by STF sleuths from West Bengal's Howrah district on January 7.
On Wednesday, the public prosecutor told the court that Qureshi was entrusted with the task of expanding IS sleeper cells in the country through systematic brainwashing of youths.
"Qureshi also used to provide funds and technical support for that purpose. The police need to take him into custody for the purpose of further investigation and interrogation," the public prosecutor argued.
The judge accepted the plea and sent Qureshi to police custody till January 23.
The STF sleuths have learnt that before his active association with IS, Qureshi was a senior and active leader of the banned Students' Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and he was the key person in inspiring Saddam to join the IS. Later Saddam brainwashed and roped in Syed Ahmed to the terror module.
In a diary seized from Saddam's residence, the STF sleuths have found an oath of joining the IS, written in Arabic. The STF sleuths recovered, from their devices, crucial clues on how the two, especially Saddam, used to contact his IS handlers in Syria and Saudi Arabia using the Telegram Web medium. The recovery of such crucial clues, especially the ones related to the videos and still photographs about the activities of the suicide squad modules of IS, have kept the investigators worried.
- Sangh is neither right nor left wing, says RSS general secretary
- Gujarat: Woman, paramour held for her son's murder
- Union Budget instrument to push country into huge debt: Sisodia
- Man held at Mumbai airport with cocaine valued at Rs 33.60cr
- Tripura tribal party to contest alone in Feb 16 Assembly polls
- India lists Pak-based terrorist Abdul Rehman Makki as UN-listed terrorist
- Rs 4K cr for 14,500 PM SHRI Schools, 20 lakh students to benefit
- 'Ameer ke saath, gareeb ka vinash': Siddaramaiah on Union Budget
- Defence Budget: Focus on operational preparedness; thrust on Agniveers' training
- Motivational speaker Nick Vujicic calls on Andhra CM