Injury forces Marin Cilic to withdraw from 2023 Aus Open - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 11, 2023
Former world no 3 sustained a knee injury last week during a warm-up ahead of his quarterfinal match at the Tata Open Maharashtra, where he was competing as a top-seed player.
"Not a great start to 2023 and few tough days in Melbourne. Devastated I can't play this year at @AustralianOpen but health comes first. See you next year Melbourne!" Cilic tweeted.
The 2014 US Open champion, Cilic, is the new name on the list of players, who will miss the first Major of the year. Earlier, World No. 1 men's singles player Carlos Alcaraz of Spain has opted out of the 2023 season's first major after picking up an injury while training.
Hours after Alcaraz announced his withdrawal, seven-time Grand Slam singles champion Venus Williams of the United States, too, pulled out of the Australian Open.
Former two-time champion Naomi Osaka of Japan also withdrew from the mega event, however, the reason for her withdrawal was not mentioned by the tournament organisers.
"Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the Australian Open. We will miss her at #AO2023. Dayana Yastremska moves into the main draw," tournament organisers tweeted on Sunday.
- Prime Volleyball League 2023 season to feature 31 games
- We want to win the T20 World Cup trophy once again: England captain Heather Knight
- India begin preparations for the first Border-Gavaskar Trophy Test in Nagpur
- Cameron Green hasn't been able to do a lot yet, says Australia captain Pat Cummins
- Indian karting star Jaden Pariat to drive full season in British F4 championship
- Gurpreet Singh Sandhu extends Bengaluru FC stay till 2028
- Ben Stokes is final bit of jigsaw for England’s ODI World Cup plans: Nasser Hussain
- KIYG 2022: Chak De India to Khelo India - The Kerketa story
- Bowling sessions before going for World Cup helping me in bowling: Deepti Sharma
- Nick Kyrgios avoids conviction as he admits assaulting ex-girlfriend