Industry body seeks lifting curbs for non polluting activities in construction - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 11, 2023
A CII Delegation led by Harsh Bansal, Convenor, CII Delhi Panel on Urban Development, Real Estate, Infra, met Bhupender Yadav, Minister of Environment, and shared the construction industry concerns on bans imposed on the anticipation of poor air quality.
Bansal shared that construction activities can be broadly categorised into two segments: Polluting and Non-polluting activities.
In a construction project, 5 activities namely excavation, demolition, dry marble cutting, mixing of concrete, loading and unloading of cement/dust and sand can be considered as polluting activities causing pollution through dust emissions.
While, several other activities do not contribute to air pollution -- shuttering, re-enforcement of brickwork, electrical, interior work, lift installation, plumbing, firefighting services, POP, welding, iron-cutting, laying of iron rods for slabs, etc.
Therefore, while considering a construction ban imposed during the greater AQI levels, we request authorities to consider exempting the non-polluting construction activities and to be allowed to be continued.
As per the CII, the Minister assured that he will address the concerns of industry and also advised industry to adapt solutions towards sustainable and green environment.
The Minister further highlighted that from the total ban of over 53 days in last year we have reached to 20 days ban this year, this is a good progress and we must strive to further decrease it and aim to reach to zero ban days for construction.
However, all this can be achieved not only by efforts of the government but also support of industry and individuals.
In view of a spike in air pollution, the Centre's air quality panel has directed the implementation of curbs under Stage III of the Graded Response Action Plan (GRAP) in Delhi-NCR, including a ban on construction & demolition work in Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR).
- Over 100 delegates to attend first G20 Finance Meeting
- Startup20 Engagement Group holds inception meeting in Hyderabad
- Air Asia flight makes emergency landing at Lucknow after bird hit
- Mahanadi Coalfields sets up eco-park over closed underground mine in Odisha
- Kerala MLA uses AI-supported WhatsApp automated system to connect with people 24x7
- Naked short selling not permitted in Indian markets
- After the market bashing, budget could be the balm
- Rail Budget 2023-24: Focus on incomplete projects, big push for Make in India
- Industry expects Budget to provide thrust to UDAN, help more airports to take off
- Centre must help states cope with fiscal cost of faster EV adoption