Goddess Kali poster: Filmmaker Leena Manimekalai moves SC to quash FIRs - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 14, 2023
The matter was mentioned before a bench headed by Chief Justice D.Y. Chandrachud on Friday. The top court has scheduled the matter for hearing on January 20.
The plea in the apex court sought a direction to quash all the FIRs registered against the filmmaker in various states over the poster of her documentary titled 'Kaali'.
The plea sought to quash the multiple FIRs registered in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand on complaints against the poster of the documentary. The plea has also sought a stay on the proceedings in the meantime, besides seeking action against those who issued threats to her on social media.
The plea contended that the petitioner did not attempt to offend the religious sentiments of any person. The filmmaker claimed that she had also received open calls for violence against her and her family after she tweeted the poster of the documentary.
The petitioner submitted that multiple FIRs amount to infringement of her constitutionally guaranteed fundamental right to freedom of expression.
- Last rites of Odisha minister, shot dead by a cop, performed
- Plane carrying Andhra Pradesh CM makes emergency landing
- MP minister Narottam Mishra plays anchor role in bringing back Katni mayor to BJP
- Meet Kashmir's self-taught artist whose Insta page of artworks is a hit
- Taaraka Ratna continues to be in critical state at B'luru hospital
- Prime Minister urges UNGA President on Security Council reforms
- Goa minister condemns Amit Shah's statement on Mhadei
- Accountant held for harassing his ex-fiancee
- Chhattisgarh coal levy extortion scam: ED attaches more assets worth Rs 17.48 cr
- Nitish Kumar suffering from memory loss, says BJP MLA