FIFA World Cup: Saka backs big tournament experience to help England triumph in Qatar - Doha (Qatar) News
by IANS | Updated Dec 05, 2022
Although only 21 years old, Saka formed part of the side that got to the final of last summer's European Championship, as did most of his teammates and he believes that although the European adventure ended in disappointment, it would help on Saturday.
"There's a lot of tournament experience now. If you look at the results from the last few tournaments we've been in, we've got to a semifinal, a final and (now) a quarterfinal.
"So when the big games come, we have a lot of players who know what they need to do," he said.
Saka missed his shot in the fateful penalty shoot-out in last year's final against Italy but said that if needed, he would step up again.
"Personally, I've tried to move on from that moment -- obviously I know I can never really forget about that, it's there in history. But at the same time coming out here and scoring those three goals, of course, lifted me a lot -- and the love from the fans that I keep receiving has lifted me a lot as well and gives me a lot of confidence," he said.
"I've obviously matured and progressed a lot as a person and as a player since that moment and I wouldn't have stepped up to take a penalty for Arsenal the times I've stepped up if I wasn''t confident."
"If the moment comes and I'm selected to take one, I will be more than happy to," he promised.
The Arsenal midfielder also praised 19-year-old Jude Bellingham, who produced another outstanding display in midfield as England defeated Senegal 3-0 in the Round of 16 on Sunday, reports Xinhua.
"He's a special player. I just hope he can continue to keep progressing because, for sure, he has a massive, massive future," commented Saka.
Striker Callum Wilson sat out Monday's training session. The Newcastle United striker, who didn't take part in Sunday's game, was the only absentee from the session for non-starters.
The players will have a day off on Tuesday before preparing for Saturday's quarterfinal against France.
- PVL: Presence of fans in stadiums across the three cities will add to the electrifying atmosphere inside the venues, says Joy Bhattacharjya
- Women's T20 Tri-series: Deepti Sharma helps dominant India thrash West Indies
- La Laga 2022-23: Four things we learned in Spain's Matchday 19 (Analysis)
- SA20: MI Cape Town pick Tim David as replacement for injured Livingstone
- SA20: MI Cape Town pick Henry Brookes in place of Olly Stone for 2023 season
- MP CM Shivraj Chouhan declares Khelo India Youth Games open in Bhopal
- Sachin Tendulkar, BCCI office-bearers to felicitate World Cup-winning U19 women's team
- World Veterans TT: Yogesh Desai claims gold in 70+, Mantu Murmu wins women's 60+ crown
- Boxer Tamanna Beniwal looking to win 4th medal in Khelo India Youth Games
- New Zealand's Bracewell refuses to criticise Lucknow pitch after losing T20I on spin-friendly track