FIFA World Cup: La Liga has second-most players in Qatar 2022 after the group stage - Mumbai News
by IANS | Updated Dec 06, 2022
With nearly 60 players of different nationalities, who will play in the Round of 16, La Liga is only behind the Premier League, and ahead of the other three major European leagues -- Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1.
The Spanish top flight thus accounts for 22.3% of the players in the European Top 5 for the Last-16 round, who come from 15 different La Liga clubs, the La Liga informed in a release on Tuesday.
It is worth noting that, despite being in second place, La Liga is the league that has lost the fewest players since the start of the World Cup, with -28.9% of the original volume of players.
The league that has lost the most players from its original volume is the Bundesliga (-48%), followed by Serie A (-40%), Ligue 1 (-37%) and finally the Premier League (-31.3%).
"We are proud that nearly 60 top players from our competition are still in the World Cup at such a crucial time. We have a high level of representation and we are sure that, as the competition progresses, this will be maintained," said Javier Tebas, President of La Liga.
This Tuesday, the teams that will advance to the quarterfinals will be decided, with players from the five major European leagues battling it out to be among the four best teams in the world.
- India begin preparations for the first Border-Gavaskar Trophy Test in Nagpur
- Cameron Green hasn't been able to do a lot yet, says Australia captain Pat Cummins
- Indian karting star Jaden Pariat to drive full season in British F4 championship
- Gurpreet Singh Sandhu extends Bengaluru FC stay till 2028
- Ben Stokes is final bit of jigsaw for England’s ODI World Cup plans: Nasser Hussain
- KIYG 2022: Chak De India to Khelo India - The Kerketa story
- Bowling sessions before going for World Cup helping me in bowling: Deepti Sharma
- Nick Kyrgios avoids conviction as he admits assaulting ex-girlfriend
- ISL 2022-23: There is no time to sit and complain, says Chennaiyin coach Thomas Brdaric
- My body is feeling good, I'm excited to be back with the group: Kyle Jamieson