FIFA World Cup: Griezmann sends support to Kimmich after Germany exit Qatar 2022 - Doha (Qatar) News
by IANS | Updated Dec 02, 2022
Kimmich formed part of the German side that was eliminated from the tournament on Thursday, despite winning their Group E match 4-2 against Costa Rica, reports Xinhua.
Japan's shock 2-1 victory over Spain was enough to send the Germans home at the group stage for the second consecutive World Cup, and Kimmich lamented his side's failure on social media, telling TV network Sport 1, "This was the worst day of my career. I'm afraid I'll fall into a hole. It makes you think that these failures are connected to me."
"I joined (the German national team) in 2016, so being associated with failure is not something you want to stand for," he said.
Griezmann responded with a message on social media to try and raise Kimmich's morale, posting, "You are a great player and you will be able to lift yourself up again, Joshua."
Germany defeated Costa Rica 4-2 in their concluding Group E match of the FIFA World Cup but that was not enough for Die Mannschaft to qualify for the knockout stage of the tournament.
At the Bayt Stadium in Al Khor what went against the four-time champions was the match result from Group E's other finale between Spain and Japan at Khalifa International Stadium, where Japan defeated the European giants 2-1 to make it to the next stage as group winners.
The Samurai Blues which began with a 2-1 win over the former champions lost to Costa Rica 1-0 and finished their league engagements with a 2-1 win over yet another former champion Spain.
Germany's exit meant they crashed out of the world at the group stage for the second successive time having suffered the same fate as at Russia 2018. Costa Rica was also eliminated, with Japan and Spain moving on.
- I-League 2022-23: Goals and cards galore as Kenkre hold table-toppers Punjab
- 3rd T20I: I look to keep it simple and back my gut feeling, says Hardik on his captaincy philosophy
- 3rd T20I: It feels good when you practice and it pays off, says Gill after his century
- Football: Busy close to transfer window in Premier League
- Khelo India Youth Games: Hosts Madhya Pradesh sweep medals in kayaking and canoeing
- 3rd T20I: Shubman Gill's ton, bowlers power India to clinical 2-1 series win over New Zealand (Ld)
- 3rd T20I: Shubman Gill's ton, bowlers lead India to massive 168-run win over New Zealand
- La Liga 2022-23: Real Madrid eye three points against managerless Valencia
- PSA Challenger Squash: Abhay Singh, Amina Orfi clinch men's and women's titles
- PVL: Presence of fans in stadiums across the three cities will add to the electrifying atmosphere inside the venues, says Joy Bhattacharjya