FIFA, CAF delegation visits Kenya to plot means to revive football - Nairobi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 10, 2023
The nine-month FIFA suspension ended on November 28, 2022, following the intervention of Kenya's new sports Cabinet Secretary Ababu Namwamba, who asked CAF to consider reinstating the country's senior national team to the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualification, reports Xinhua news agency.
Kenya was grouped in Pool C alongside Burundi, Namibia and Cameroon, but was banished by FIFA in February 2022.
This followed the disbandment of the Nick Mwendwa-led Football Kenya Federation (FKF) National Executive Committee by Namwamba's predecessor at the ministry, Amina Mohamed, with Kenya missing the opening two rounds of qualification that resume in March.
"We are very keen to see the Harambee Stars back and firing. The issue of how they are going to progress in the qualifiers for the 2023 AFCON is a matter that will be discussed by the federation when they meet this delegation," Namwamba told journalists in the Kenyan capital Nairobi on Monday.
He said he believed that both FIFA and CAF will be considerate of Kenya's circumstances and allow them to participate in the qualifiers.
Namwamba assured the delegation led by former Switzerland international Gelson Fernandes, who is now Director of FIFA Member Associations in Africa, that the current regime is not interested in being involved in direct management of football but concerned with creating an enabling environment for the game to run effectively.
In his remarks, Fernandes said the world football governing body that slapped an international ban in Kenya over government interference was committed to seeing the scandal-hit game return to normalcy in the east African nation.
"It's important for us that Kenya is back on track and to become alive and Kenyan football to shine again," he added.
The delegation later toured FKF headquarters in Nairobi and will meet other stakeholders during their three-day tour.
- PVL: Presence of fans in stadiums across the three cities will add to the electrifying atmosphere inside the venues, says Joy Bhattacharjya
- Women's T20 Tri-series: Deepti Sharma helps dominant India thrash West Indies
- La Laga 2022-23: Four things we learned in Spain's Matchday 19 (Analysis)
- SA20: MI Cape Town pick Tim David as replacement for injured Livingstone
- SA20: MI Cape Town pick Henry Brookes in place of Olly Stone for 2023 season
- MP CM Shivraj Chouhan declares Khelo India Youth Games open in Bhopal
- Sachin Tendulkar, BCCI office-bearers to felicitate World Cup-winning U19 women's team
- World Veterans TT: Yogesh Desai claims gold in 70+, Mantu Murmu wins women's 60+ crown
- Boxer Tamanna Beniwal looking to win 4th medal in Khelo India Youth Games
- New Zealand's Bracewell refuses to criticise Lucknow pitch after losing T20I on spin-friendly track