ED attaches luxurious house of prime accused in Odisha sextortion case - Bhubaneswar News
by IANS | Updated Jan 11, 2023
Earlier, the ED had seized two high-end vehicles worth Rs 56.5 lakh, as per the provisions under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002.
The central agency had registered an enforcement case information report (ECIR) for taking up investigation under the provisions of PMLA against Archana Nag, her husband Jagabandhu Chand, associates Shradhanjali Behera and Khageswar Patra on the basis of two separate FIRs filed by Bhubaneswar police, the ED said in a statement on Wednesday.
As per the FIRs, Archana, her husband Jagabandhu, with the assistance of Shradhanjali Behera and Khageswar Patra, generated properties worth crores of rupees through extortion by way of 'honey-trapping' high profile and rich people and then secretly making their videos. They then blackmailed the victims by threatening to make the videos viral.
The case came to limelight when a complaint was filed against renowned Odia film producer Parija, accusing him of sexually exploiting a woman. Following this complaint, some purportedly obscene pictures of Parija with the woman went viral on social media.
Later, Parija too lodged another complaint alleging that Archana and Shradhanjali made extortion demand of Rs 3 crore from him.
More than 20 leaders from the ruling BJD and opposition BJP, besides prominent businessmen, film producers and real-estate tycoons, were reportedly honey-trapped by Archana, who had allegedly hired high-profile call girls to please the wealthy men.
Archana, her husband Jagabandhu and their business partner Khageswar Patra have been arrested in this case.
- Rs 936 cr related to crypto currency attached or seized by ED: Govt
- Bihar man held for torturing minor daughter
- AI-powered robots to monitor beaches in Goa
- PM lauds HAL's new factory, unveils Light Utility Helicopter
- Upendra Kushwaha not the JD-U Parliamentary Board President: Lalan Singh
- Man stoned to death in Delhi's Dwarka
- Teachers' scam: HC summons entire panel of interviewers for 2016 primary TET
- Anti-encroachment drive: Omar says bulldozer should be last resort
- Oommen Chandy hospitalised for suspected pneumonia
- CBI arrests 3 in bribe case; Rs 1.02 cr recovered