Eating walnuts everyday may lower your BMI, control BP - New York News
by IANS | Updated Sep 23, 2022
The finding, published in the journal Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, showed that those in the walnut-eating group had lower blood pressure than those that did not eat the nuts, reports the Daily Mail.
According to the researchers, from the University of Minnesota, walnuts are the only nuts that contain Omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). The fatty acid has previously been linked to improved heart health. However, the researchers say more studies are needed to confirm the findings.
Previous research has linked walnuts to lower blood pressure, and suggested they prevent diabetes and heart disease. However, these results are yet to be backed up by a rigorous clinical trial.
For the study, the team analysed data from 3,341 US people who were about 45 years old. Participants had taken part in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study run by the University of Alabama between 1985 and 2015.
They were initially interviewed about their diets, and followed up with at years seven, 20 and 25 of the study. Of those involved, the 340 who ate walnuts consumed about 0.6 ounces (19 grams) a day on average - the equivalent of seven walnut kernels.
At year 20, they were invited back for a health check-up where their BMI was measured, alongside their activity levels and blood pressure.
The scientists also suggested that walnuts led to lower weight gain and a higher quality diet.
September 23, 2022 Other New York
- Biden 'determined' to continue helping flood-ravaged Pakistan
- Dow tumbles as recession fears mount
- NYT Crossword Answers for September 23 2022, Find Out The Answers To The Full Crossword Puzzle, September 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif fears 'all hell to break loose' sans debt relief
- Shehbaz meets Biden at reception for world leaders in New York
- Yemeni FM calls for faster salvage of derelict oil tanker
- War increased gender-based violence in Ukraine: UN policy paper
- System Requirements
- Optical Illusion
- Crossword Clue
- Net Worth
- Brain Teaser