Covid 2.0 unleashes credit stress for MFIs, small NBFCs
by IANS | Updated Jul 10, 2021
Accordingly, out of thirteen issuer downgrades by credit rating agencies during Q1FY22 in the financial sector, ten issuers are smaller MFI and NBFCs engaged in providing unsecured MSME loans, personal and vehicle loans.
A report by Acuite Ratings said that collection efficiencies which were seen recovering above 90 per cent in Mar-21 have dropped to between 65-85 per cent levels during Q1FY22.
"Besides the lower collections, the debt raising ability of these smaller players has been impacted with an estimated 50 per cent of players (having a loan portfolio of more than 500 crore) having received adequate funds."
"Relief measures provided by the government and RBI recently is expected to support the continuity of credit flow to microfinance and MSME borrowers while also enhance liquidity relief to the smaller lenders."
Furthermore, it said that impact of second wave of Covid has been more pronounced on collections in the asset classes of microfinance and two-wheeler loans as compared to the first cycle.
"Even as two-wheeler as an asset class fared better during the first wave of lockdowns, the impact has been greater during the second cycle on account of the spread of the pandemic in rural areas and the stress on the borrowers' cash flows due to loss of income as well as high medical expenses," said Suman Chowdhury, Chief Analytical Officer, Acuite Ratings & Research.
"Given the intermittent nature of economic activities in the wake of Covid spread in Q1FY22, the borrower income streams, particularly of those serviced by smaller NBFCs or MFIs have been severely impacted, thereby exacerbating the asset quality stress for these lenders."
However, the report added that absence of moratorium has made the borrower stress more visible in this cycle and along with lack of adequate funding, the deterioration in liquidity and therefore credit quality for smaller NBFCs and MFIs was almost inevitable.
- Sebi 'fully equipped', could set up a panel of experts, Centre to SC on Adani issue
- Essar Oil & Gas Exploration & Production achieves highest ever revenue and EBIDTA
- Renault Nissan to invest $600 million, launch six new models (Lead)
- Inflation-linked road toll rate hike to be modest in FY24: ICRA
- Homegrown EV mobility solutions provider Magenta Mobility raises $40 mn
- Researcher says PokerBaazi exposed users' information, platform denies data breach (Lead)
- Piyush Goyal directs FCI to open more procurement centres in UP
- IIT-K unveils breakthrough in coal/mineral transportation
- Mumbai airport records surge in passenger movement, traffic up by 149% in Jan
- Tesla adjusts its EV pricing for 4th time in US