Constitution is supreme: Chidambaram counters V-P Dhankhar - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Jan 12, 2023
"The Hon'ble Chairman of the Rajya Sabha is wrong when he says that Parliament is supreme. It is the Constitution that is supreme,"Chidambaram said.
He said this may be a warning ahead, "In fact, the Hon'ble Chairman's views should warn every Constitution-loving citizen to be alert to the dangers ahead."
He said the "basic structure" doctrine was evolved in order to prevent a majoritarian-driven assault on the foundational principles of the Constitution.
"Suppose Parliament, by a majority, voted to convert the parliamentary system into a Presidential system. Or repeal the State List in Schedule VII and take away the exclusive legislative powers of the States. Would such amendments be valid? " he questioned.
"After the NJAC Act was struck down, nothing prevented the Government from introducing a new Bill. The striking down of one Act does not mean that the "basic structure" doctrine is wrong".
Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar on Wednesday reiterated that the power of Parliament to amend the constitution and deal with legislation is not subject to any other authority and all constitutional institutions -- the judiciary, the executive and the legislature -- are required to confine to their respective domains and conform to the highest standard of propriety and decorum.
He was addressing the 83rd All India Presiding Officers' Conference at Rajasthan Vidhan Sabha on Wednesday here.
"Power of the Parliament to amend the constitution and deal with legislation is not subject to any other authority. This is lifeline of democracy," he said
"Democracy sustains and blossoms when the Legislature, the Judiciary and the Executive act in tandem and togetherness to fructify constitutional goals and realise aspirations of the people. The Judiciary cannot legislate as much as the Legislature cannot script a judicial verdict," the Vice President added.
- After two days of rain & snow weather improves in Kashmir
- TN power utility seeks approval to purchase solar power from farmers
- Jammu-Srinagar National Highway closed for 2nd day
- Sonia to attend President address as Congress leaders stuck in Srinagar
- BRS & AAP to boycott Prez address
- PM Modi to visit poll bound K'taka on Feb 6
- Rape victim's brother found dead in UP's Meerut
- PM Modi to inaugurate Delhi-Mumbai Expressway on Feb 12
- Three held for duping Swiss tourist at Taj Mahal
- Prez Murmu to address joint sitting of Parliament first time