Cong appoints Maken as observer for Manipur
by IANS | Updated Jun 19, 2020
Ajay Maken and party's state in charge Gaurav Gogoi will reach Imphal on Friday.
The Congress has staked claim to form the government in the state and has sought the removal of the speaker.
The latest political development comes a day after the three-year-old BJP-led coalition government in Manipur headed by Chief Minister N. Biren Singh was on Wednesday night pushed into a political crisis as three BJP MLAs quit the party and joined the Congress and six Legislators -- four of National People's Party (NPP), one Trinamool and an independent -- withdrew support.
"We have told the Governor that the Congress, in alliance with the other parties and Independents, is now capable of forming a secular government headed by three-time Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh. We have handed over a letter signed by Okram Ibobi Singh to the Governor."
After the latest political development, the strength of the BJP-led alliance government has been reduced to a minority in the Assembly, effective strength of which is 59 after Shyamkumar Singh, who had defected to the BJP from Congress, was disqualified.
- After two days of rain & snow weather improves in Kashmir
- TN power utility seeks approval to purchase solar power from farmers
- Jammu-Srinagar National Highway closed for 2nd day
- Sonia to attend President address as Congress leaders stuck in Srinagar
- BRS & AAP to boycott Prez address
- PM Modi to visit poll bound K'taka on Feb 6
- Rape victim's brother found dead in UP's Meerut
- PM Modi to inaugurate Delhi-Mumbai Expressway on Feb 12
- Three held for duping Swiss tourist at Taj Mahal
- Prez Murmu to address joint sitting of Parliament first time