Calcutta HC ruckus: Justice Mantha issues contempt rule, files suo motu petition - Kolkata News
by IANS | Updated Jan 10, 2023
Justice Mantha, besides issuing the rule, has also filed a suo moto petition against the agitating advocates creating obstruction in their fellow professionals appearing at his court.
The matter will now be heard by the division bench of Chief Justice Prakash Srivastava and Justice Rajarshi Bharadwaj.
In the rule, Justice Mantha observed that the development was a reflection of rowdy activities and contempt of court.
Earlier in the day, Justice Mantha even summoned the court's officer-in-charge and asked him to deploy additional forces in front of his court to ensure that no one is obstructed from entering it. Accordingly, additional forces were deployed though that did not bring an end to obstruction of the advocates willing to enter.
Earlier in the day, senior advocate and the CPI-M Rajya Sabha member, Bikash Ranjan Bhattacharya condemned the action on part of the agitating lawyers and also pleaded to the Chief Justice to seek explanation from the agitators by issuing a rule.
Deputy Solicitor General Billwadal Bhattacharyya even suggested to the court to deploy central armed forces within the court premises to maintain the dignity of the court.
- New & Forthcoming Books for February
- 'Don't make us take a hard stand', SC warns Centre on delaying judges' transfer
- Man arrested in Goa for possessing amphetamine
- K'taka Cong swings into action; chief says party will 'comfortably win' elections
- Car owner hits parking attendant with bat in Delhi
- Lok Sabha adjourned amid Oppn's protests over Adani issue
- Maha MLC poll results: MVA wins 3, BJP & independent bag 1 each (Ld)
- J'khand CM lashes out at Centre, Governor over domicile policy
- BSF shoots down Pakistani drone in Punjab; heroin seized
- Man held for strangling wife in Ghaziabad, burying body near pond