Asian Americans' health poorly understood, PIO-led study finds - New York News
by IANS | Updated Oct 05, 2022
The Asian Americans are a fastest-growing ethnic group in the United States with their population expected to number more than 46 million by 2060.
"Clinicians must be aware that the cardiovascular and metabolic risks related to obesity may be different among individuals who belong to different Asian subgroups," says lead author Dr Nilay Shah, Assistant Professor of Medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Illinois.
The standard threshold for obesity is a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or above, but the study finds that the number should be a BMI of 27.5 or above for Asian American people, based on their health risks.
Health risks in this population also may start at a lower BMI than the standard BMI definitions of obesity, the study says. It further finds that the prevalence of obesity ranged from 13 per cent in Chinese American adults to 29 per cent in Filipino American adults.
So, applying standard definitions to Asian Americans may miss a large portion of adults from these groups who have higher risks for disease because of their body composition, Shah says.
The study, published in Annals of Internal Medicine, identifies the prevalence of obesity in the six largest Asian American subgroups - Asian Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese, which better represents the variability in obesity in Asian subgroups in the US.
October 05, 2022 Other New York
- Pithy sayings Crossword Clue NYT
- Shakespeare play with the line "To thine own self be true" Crossword Clue NYT
- Home for birds Crossword Clue NYT
- Group of civil rights activists that included John Lewis and Martin Luther King Jr. Crossword Clue NYT
- Medicine amount Crossword Clue NYT
- Captain in "Moby-Dick" Crossword Clue NYT
- Star of ___ (symbol of Judaism) Crossword Clue NYT
- Compadre Crossword Clue NYT
- Windowpane material Crossword Clue NYT
- Like mysterious sounds in the night Crossword Clue NYT
- River in Greek mythology Crossword Clue NYT
- Setback for actor Unni Mukundan as HC lifts stay in case of outraging modesty of a woman
- Stalin directs officials to operationalise all announced schemes by year end
- Guj HC reserves order on whether PM Modi's degree certificate can be shared
- Why not the Nehru surname? Modi targets Gandhi family and Cong for 'misusing Art 356' (Lead)
- Govt put weak case to save bungalow of a BJP member: Goa Cong
- India has become 5th largest economy globally: President Murmu
- DRI, Coast Guard recover 12 kg gold dumped in sea off TN
- Delhi: Church building wall collapses, 1 dead (Lead)
- Youth Congress workers murder case: CBI court bans publishing of witnesses' statements
- Confusion continues over BJP CM face in K'taka; Yediyurappa says PM, high command to decide