ASB Classic: Norrie shocks Brooksby to reach Auckland final - Auckland News
by IANS | Updated Jan 13, 2023
Norrie, born in South Africa, will play Richard Gasquet in Saturday's final after the Frenchman advanced via walkover when his compatriot Constant Lestienne pulled out with a pectoral strain.
Norrie improved to 6-0 on the 2023 season with a convincing victory against the tricky Brooksby, who was making his Auckland debut.
After converting on his sixth break point of the opening set, Norrie found himself an instant break down at 2-0 in the second set before breaking straight back to love. The World No. 12 then erased two break chances at 2-3 to start a run of 11 consecutive points, including a second break at love. Back in control, he cooly served out the match in one hour and 38 minutes.
"It was an absolute battle with Jenson. A lot of long rallies and I know how well he competes, so it was nice to get it done in straight sets. I'm glad the sun came out; everyone came out on a Friday. It was an amazing atmosphere and I really enjoyed it," Norrie was quoted as saying.
- PVL: Presence of fans in stadiums across the three cities will add to the electrifying atmosphere inside the venues, says Joy Bhattacharjya
- Women's T20 Tri-series: Deepti Sharma helps dominant India thrash West Indies
- La Laga 2022-23: Four things we learned in Spain's Matchday 19 (Analysis)
- SA20: MI Cape Town pick Tim David as replacement for injured Livingstone
- SA20: MI Cape Town pick Henry Brookes in place of Olly Stone for 2023 season
- MP CM Shivraj Chouhan declares Khelo India Youth Games open in Bhopal
- Sachin Tendulkar, BCCI office-bearers to felicitate World Cup-winning U19 women's team
- World Veterans TT: Yogesh Desai claims gold in 70+, Mantu Murmu wins women's 60+ crown
- Boxer Tamanna Beniwal looking to win 4th medal in Khelo India Youth Games
- New Zealand's Bracewell refuses to criticise Lucknow pitch after losing T20I on spin-friendly track