Anushka Sharma files plea against Sales Tax Dept, HC seeks Maha govt response - Mumbai News
by IANS | Updated Jan 12, 2023
When the matter came up before a division bench of Justice Nitin Jamdar and Justice Abhay Ahuja, government pleader Jyoti Chavan sought time to file a reply.
Accordingly, the court has directed the state government to file its response in two of the pleas which were taken up and posted the matter for further hearing on February. 6.
Anushka has questioned the orders of the Deputy Commissioner, Sales Tax raising her dues for the assessment years 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, and 2015-2016, under the Maharashtra Value Added Tax Act.
She has contended that the assessing officer had wrongly levied the ST and said that for 2012-2013, the ST was Rs 1.20 crore on her income of Rs 12.30 crore and for 2013-2014, the ST was Rs 1.60 crore on around Rs 17 crore payments received by her.
In her plea, Sharma said that the assessing officer had erroneously held that she had acquired copyright through endorsements and anchoring function and had sold or transferred the same.
The actress, through her lawyer Deepak Bapat, has pointed out that the copyright of videos is always retained by the producer who also owns such videos and performer's rights which are not capable of being transferred or sold.
Bapat said in the petition that as per the MVAT Sec. 6(1), there shall be levied a sales tax on the turnover of sales of goods, and unless it is established that there is a sale of goods, sales tax cannot be levied on it.
- Pawan Kalyan opens up on acting and his marriages in chat with NBK
- Rajamouli, Dhanush, Shahid at star-studded 'Dasara' teaser release
- Shooting on schedule for Thalapathy Vijay's collab with Lokesh Kanagaraj
- Amid 'Pathaan' success, Sona Mohapatra calls 'Besharam Rang' a 'mediocre song'
- 'Wakanda Forever' director hails Boseman, calls him an 'artistic partner'
- SRK thanks all those who made sure 'Pathaan' could be watched 'with love'
- Kartik Aaryan's 'Shehzada' release pushed by a week to Feb 17
- Jane Fonda raises concerns over upcoming 'Barbarella' remake
- Jackie Shroff narrates Hall of Fame, light and sound show in Leh on Martyrs' Day
- DJ Diplo surprises fans performing in Aishwarya Rai sweatshirt at Lollapalooza