'Anti-competitive offers by Samsung killing retail trade', CAIT writes to CCI - New Delhi News
by IANS | Updated Feb 07, 2023
The CAIT in a letter to the CCI Chairman has claimed that leading manufacturers like Samsung too have plunged into ‘anticompetitive and retail destructive' policies like their Chinese counterparts and foreign ecommerce platforms for benefits of themselves, creating a void in the retail trade impacting the business and economy adversely.
"By indulging in all these, even after repeated triggers and requests, the brand has clearly started moving towards violating the provisions of the Competition Act, 2002, abusing its dominating position offering unequal treatment and seizing the business opportunity for its retail partners, diverting the customers on its platforms by misusing their data," it said.
The CAIT has said that the brand after having created its business through retail has today started indulging in malpractices of anti-competitive exclusive offers to the customer directly from Samsung.com, forcing them to divert from the retail stores to the direct online business which has been creating a void in the market and shaking the confidence of over 1.5 lakh mobile retailers in the country.
"The brand even after several representations in person, through mails and tweets from All India Mobile Retailers Association (AIMRA), the apex body representing the mobile retailers of the country, has failed to address and take corrective measures.
"These offers are spoiling the business of the MSME's into this trade creating a big loss of business and huge unemployment impacting the economy as a whole," the traders' body said.
With the recent launch of the Galaxy S23 series, the brand has extended one-sided monopolistic treatment against the retailers by directly unmatching exclusive offerings on Samsung.com , diverting the customers and pulling on their own platform, CAIT said.
"We request the intervention of the CCI to take cognisance of the same by directing immediate corrections for a level playing field and a healthy progressive revenue generator retail market contributing to the economy," read the letter issued on Tuesday.
- Sebi 'fully equipped', could set up a panel of experts, Centre to SC on Adani issue
- Essar Oil & Gas Exploration & Production achieves highest ever revenue and EBIDTA
- Renault Nissan to invest $600 million, launch six new models (Lead)
- Inflation-linked road toll rate hike to be modest in FY24: ICRA
- Homegrown EV mobility solutions provider Magenta Mobility raises $40 mn
- Researcher says PokerBaazi exposed users' information, platform denies data breach (Lead)
- Piyush Goyal directs FCI to open more procurement centres in UP
- IIT-K unveils breakthrough in coal/mineral transportation
- Mumbai airport records surge in passenger movement, traffic up by 149% in Jan
- Tesla adjusts its EV pricing for 4th time in US